Remember Planetside 2? It's Back in Battle Royale Form - Planetside Arena

Keyser_Soze

From this RPS article:

The sci-fi generals of PlanetSide 2’s never-ending conflict will be waging a new kind of war early next year. PlanetSide Arena is a battle royale shoot-the-lads that will launch as a full game on January 29, developers Daybreak are telling everyone today. It’s going to have a shrinking battleground, reworked guns, spacebucks, jetpacks, orbital strikes and big group matches that see 250 boots-on-the-ground shooting at 250 other boots-on-the-ground. Also, everybody has a quad in their pocket that they can whip out whenever they want and drive across the hills.

“We want PlanetSide Arena to be a faster-paced, more kind of ‘on your feet’ [game],” lead game designer Tony Morton tells me during a presentation from the H1Z1 makers. In the demo, tracer rounds graze the horizon, pods fall from a giant dropship, and holographic guns float above cylindrical terminals. It feels familiar both to anyone who’s done a tour of duty in PlanetSide 2 or dipped into other last man standers. Much of it is following the trends. You can jump in solo, or in a group of three, or fight in “massive clash” mode (that’s the aforementioned 250 v 250 murderfest, although there are also plans for up to 1000 players per match). There will be vehicles like jeeps and tanks, and it’ll feature a “seasonal story arc”, although it’s unclear if that means its own version of Kevin the quite large cube.

I remember when everyone here played Planetside for like a day. But this looks pretty awesome.

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its a fickle market for such games right now, so best of luck to them! 

I think this shows promise. It's like developers realized you can BR anything, and decided to move away from janky survival sim mods to action games. This one looks like a step down from Fortnite which is a bit too outlandish and not quite pubg either but still a massive and interesting sci-fi world.

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think this shows promise. It's like developers realized you can BR anything, and decided to move away from janky survival sim mods to action games. This one looks like a step down from Fortnite which is a bit too outlandish and not quite pubg either but still a massive and interesting sci-fi world.

I’m not an MP gamer, but I’m always game to give it a try at least once.

• 1 year later...

And it's cancelled now after 4 months

https://steamcommunity.com/games/987350/announcements/detail/2988632806212615010

Hello Everyone,

After careful consideration, we’ve made the difficult decision to shut down PlanetSide Arena servers.

While our team set out with an ambitious vision for a game that combined the massive-scale combat and camaraderie of PlanetSide through a diverse collection of new game modes, it has become clear after several months in Early Access that our population levels make it impossible to sustain the gameplay experience we envisioned.

As a result, PlanetSide Arena will formally shut down servers on January 10th, 2020 at 5:00 PM (PST). We are actively working with Steam to ensure that all players who made purchases during Early Access will automatically receive a full refund to their Steam Wallet after servers shut down in January. 

Thank you again for your loyalty and support during Beta and Early Access. Your feedback was invaluable, and your enduring passion for PlanetSide remains the bedrock our community is built upon. As painful as it is to close this chapter so quickly, we remain deeply committed to this franchise, and look forward to continuing this journey through the PlanetSide Universe with all of you.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Planetside 2 was an incredible experience when it launched. I tried to get back into it a year or two ago, but it had changed quite a bit and I found it hard to jump in.

Planetside Arena is cancelled but Planetside 2 still exists. Just to avoid any confusion. :p