Sweden to join NATO - Hungary ratifies bid, clearing last hurdle

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Great news. Wish it wasn't coming at a time when a person with a shot at the presidency was working to dismantle the alliance.

Yes, he wants to, but leaving NATO would require a 2/3 majority vote from the Senate which will never happen.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yes, he wants to, but leaving NATO would require a 2/3 majority vote from the Senate which will never happen.

If he really wanted to, he could challenge that law in front of SCOTUS to determine whether it's even constitutional to begin with.

There are other ways he could undermine NATO through non-participation in Alliance activities or not funding the US share that are short of outright leaving.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If he really wanted to, he could challenge that law in front of SCOTUS to determine whether it's even constitutional to begin with.

There are other ways he could undermine NATO through non-participation in Alliance activities or not funding the US share that are short of outright leaving.

This is more what I was alluding to. Basically all the ways that count: Spending decreases, non-participation, not honoring the agreement should it come to it, etc.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To be fair, so far all Trump has said is that he wouldn't help NATO allies who "didn't pay their share" (which I don't think he understands what that actually means) in the case of a Russian invasion, and every NATO ally that borders Russia/Belarus does, in fact, "pay their share."

Point being, I know Trump wants to suck off vladdy daddy in every way he can, but straight up leaving NATO or stripping funding isn't possible without congressional support (at least I can't find anything that says the President can unilaterally cut off NATO funding) and not participating at all would be political suicide (even if that means no US boots on the ground).

I would be more concerned if shit pops off in the Balkans again, considering Montenegro and Macedonia are members now.

54 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

To be fair, so far all Trump has said is that he wouldn't help NATO allies who "didn't pay their share" (which I don't think he understands what that actually means) in the case of a Russian invasion, and every NATO ally that borders Russia/Belarus does, in fact, "pay their share."

Point being, I know Trump wants to suck off vladdy daddy in every way he can, but straight up leaving NATO or stripping funding isn't possible without congressional support (at least I can't find anything that says the President can unilaterally cut off NATO funding) and not participating at all would be political suicide (even if that means no US boots on the ground).

I would be more concerned if shit pops off in the Balkans again, considering Montenegro and Macedonia are members now.

It seems like they can't do all of that, until Trump orders it and people listen even though it's against the law.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

If Trump wins the presidency then he likely has the House at a minimum too. If he tells them not to approve any spending then they won't.

As far as I'm aware, both the House and the Senate have to approve NATO spending/cutting in the defense budget. Cutting NATO spending would be a non-starter in any budget in the Senate.

So... thank god for the Senate? ... that's a frightening sentence...

Then again, maybe Trump doubles down on anti-NATO rhetoric that he's willing a complete government shutdown over NATO spending...

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That would be far more what I'm worried about, though I don't think the court would go that far, even in their current makeup. Then again they are potentially about to take the teeth out of every executive regulatory body, so...

The Supreme court becoming a weapon of the executive is something Andrew Jackson could have only dreamed about. (He famously ignored the supreme court when they said it was unconstitutional to bar native Americans from non-native lands and allowed them to be kicked out anyway. Jackson was the worst.)