Netflix funding Anime Remake of One Piece by Wit studio

Brian

Netflix funding an anime remake starting in East Blue using studio Wit. I am all for this. The original animation is rough and could definitely use a refresh. Add that One Piece anime has so much filler that it’s hard to recommend it to anyone. Netflix can create the definitive version similar to the treatment Hunter X Hunter got.  

I'm all for good animation, no filler, and no crazily stretched out fights version of One Piece.

I really love the One Piece manga, but I do not watch the One Piece anime. I only ever jump on and watch a fight or two, but even then, I don't watch much because the fights are often so stretched out since Toei really seems to want the series running all year round.

Would be nice if Netflix named it something else to make it easier to differentiate it from the original series.

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So basically a Dragon Ball Kai version of One Piece?

I’ve heard/read that a lot of the filler in One Piece is actually very good (especially compared to the god awful filler in Naruto), but I’ve yet to watch the show. 

Kai was just a re-edit. This is a full remake from a different studio with all new animation.

The One Piece anime's filler is fine, especially compared to like Naruto. It's the pacing that's terrible, though. Just a glacial plod through some fantastic sources material.

29 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Kai was just a re-edit. This is a full remake from a different studio with all new animation.

The One Piece anime's filler is fine, especially compared to like Naruto. It's the pacing that's terrible, though. Just a glacial plod through some fantastic sources material.

That’s right, I forgot that Kai was mostly remastered and only a handful of parts were redrawn. They did re-record all the voices for Kai.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Are they gonna make it not look like shit? I can't fucking stand how ugly One Piece is. Goddamn the characters look like garbage. It ain't charming, it's creepy.

I doubt it since that's how the manga looks. I don't find it creepy at all myself, it's a particularly unique fantasy world compared to most tournament shonen fighting anime so it's quite refreshing actually. But that's Eichiro Oda's style.