Ready for some more live action anime? Here's a trailer for Netflix's Yu Yu Hakusho...

Ghost_MH

I'm honestly surprised how much this looks like the anime. It's been a while since I've watched the anime, but there's are a bunch of scenes here that I vividly remember running nearly the same. This is coming from the same studio that did the live action Parasyte movies and the upcoming Godzilla Minus One.

Doesn't look terrible. I will definitely watch a few episodes once it's out.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm honestly surprised how much this looks like the anime. It's been a while since I've watched the anime, but there's are a bunch of scenes here that I vividly remember running nearly the same. This is coming from the same studio that did the live action Parasyte movies and the upcoming Godzilla Minus One.

Doesn't look terrible. I will definitely watch a few episodes once it's out.

Yeah i'll definitely check this out.  There was a time when Yu Yu Hakassho was almost as popular as DBZ in Japan. It was definitely one pf the earlier anime series I was exposed to in the 90's during the first anime boom. I haven't watched the original series in years but I LOVE the first movie they did back in the day.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah i'll definitely check this out.  There was a time when Yu Yu Hakassho was almost as popular as DBZ in Japan. It was definitely one pf the earlier anime series I was exposed to in the 90's during the first anime boom. I haven't watched the original series in years but I LOVE the first movie they did back in the day.

Yu Yu Hakusho still holds up pretty well...as long as you're ok with the old 90s bad boy vibe. It was one of the big, early 90s series that ran alongside DBZ in Shonen Jump. Big ones back then being this series and Slam Dunk with Rurouni Kenshin coming up a couple of years later. I used to have the entire series on DVD before I liquidated my physical media collection after having kids and needing to give them a place to sleep. Go figure. Small humans sleep. Whodathunkit?

I'm happy they stuck with a Japanese cast/production for this one. YYH is so tied to that 80s/90s Tokyo street thug and the quickly approaching end to the Yakuza operating in public vibe. That mixed with Japanese mythology; it would have been weird to try and Americanize it all.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• 1 month later...

This is now out on Netflix. I'm one episode on and this is an absolute speed run of the series. Judging from the episode summaries, seems they plan to cover the first 25 episodes of the anime in 5 episodes. Granted, these 5 are twice as long as an anime episode, so it's really something like 5 hours of this series versus 10 of the anime.

Rushing through things aside, this is actually pretty successful so far. Let's see if it remains that way the further in I get. Yusuke is a likable asshole one episode in, so they managed to get that much right fairly quickly.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is now out on Netflix. I'm one episode on and this is an absolute speed run of the series. Judging from the episode summaries, seems they plan to cover the first 25 episodes of the anime in 5 episodes. Granted, these 5 are twice as long as an anime episode, so it's really something like 5 hours of this series versus 10 of the anime.

Rushing through things aside, this is actually pretty successful so far. Let's see if it remains that way the further in I get. Yusuke is a likable asshole one episode in, so they managed to get that much right fairly quickly.

This is a Japanese production, not like the One Piece adaptation. A lot of Japanese live-action adaptations of anime are terrible (as you know), with the exception being things like the Kenshin live-action films. Keep us posted, I'm curious where this falls on that scale.

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is a Japanese production, not like the One Piece adaptation. A lot of Japanese live-action adaptations of anime are terrible (as you know), with the exception being things like the Kenshin live-action films. Keep us posted, I'm curious where this falls on that scale.

Yeah, this one is by the same studio that handled the live action Parastye and directed by the dude that handled the live action Let Me Eat Your Pancreas.

I'm not really sure how this live action adaptation will work for those unfamiliar with the property. I just watched the first two episodes and aside from some iffy CG and costumes, it's pretty good. However, I watched One Piece live action and could tell that series could be enjoyed by fans and non-fans alike. This one, not so easy to tell. There's a lot of weirdness that doesn't get a ton of explanation; and I'm not talking about denden mushi-like cute weirdness, Like, there's is no baby Koenma in this, but he still has his pacifier.

The choreography is pretty great. I mean, it's very anime, but I'm enjoying that. A live action anime doesn't have to make its fights more realistic. There's nothing wrong with Hiei running sideways along the ground and cutting cars in half. It's biggest weakness is how few episodes we get here. Episode 2 we meet Kurama and fully resolve his motivations. It's very fast.

Someone's already clipped the first big fight on YouTube, so if anyone is curious...

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

After finishing this up over the weekend, here's my stance. WAY too short. The only characters that get any real depth/screen time are Yusuke and Kuwabara. I think they did a great job with those two at the expense of every other character.

A serious shame, too, because the action is phenomenal. One Piece Netflix isn't anime action in a live action. This series, though? This is 100% anime action in a live action, complete with painful thuds against walls and the best drop kicks I've seen in years.

I'm not sure how much I'd recommend this to folks unfamiliar with the property. I have no idea if the rushed storyline hurts things. I mean, it definitely hurts Hiei, but I'm not sure if season one Hiei really has any more depth than edge lord teen. The one thing that did feel weird is the moves him and Kurama pull out. With no depth to the characters, it feels really ass pull to see Kurama become Yoko Kurama or Hiei to summon the Dragon of the Darkness Flame.

I would recommend it to fans of the series. I think I said One Piece Live Action was the best way to watch the first arc of the series, compared you the original anime. That is not at all the case for Yu Yu Hakusho Live Action. However, if you can get passed the rushed storyline, it's got some great action and it's a ton of fun.

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...