Xbox partners with Inworld AI to create games with AI characters and storylines.

CastletonSnob

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Xbox developer tools are on the way for AI NPCs and more.

Microsoft is partnering with Inworld AI to develop Xbox tools that will allow developers to create AI-powered characters, stories, and quests. The multiyear partnership will include an “AI design copilot” system that Xbox developers can use to create detailed scripts, dialogue trees, quest lines, and more.

“At Xbox, we believe that with better tools, creators can make even more extraordinary games,” explains Haiyan Zhang, general manager of gaming AI at Xbox. “This partnership will bring together: Inworld’s expertise in working with generative AI models for character development, Microsoft’s cutting-edge cloud-based AI solutions including Azure OpenAI Service, Microsoft Research’s technical insights into the future of play, and Team Xbox’s strengths in revolutionizing accessible and responsible creator tools for all developers.”

The multiplatform AI toolset will include the AI design copilot for scripts and dialogue, and an AI character engine that can be integrated into games and used to dynamically generate stories, quests, and dialogue.

Inworld has been working on AI NPCs that react to questions from a player, much like how ChatGPT or Bing Chat responds to natural language queries. These AI NPCs can respond in unique voices and can include complex dialogue trees or personalized dynamic storylines within a game. Inworld’s technology can also be used for narration, so companions in top-down RPGs can warn of groups of enemies or players up ahead.

“AI has long been an integral part of game development, with applications ranging from enemy AI to procedural generation,” says Ilya Gelfenbeyn, CEO of Inworld AI. “The emergence of large language models and generative AI has unlocked new opportunities for storytelling and character engagement within games.”

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This will surely help to end the VA strike!

As @Remarkableriots posted in the other AI-related MSFT thread:

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Microsoft's recent announcement has made the industry's future look bleak for voice actors

Elias Toufexis, who is mainly known for their role as Adam Jensen in the Deus Ex series and Sam Coe in Starfield, has tweeted their frustration over Microsoft's announcement, saying: "I've said it for years now. If you want to start a voice-acting career, don't bother." The actor continues: "All those jobs of nameless background NPCs that gave us all our start in the industry… they're all going away. I'm already bitter."

Shelby Young, who recently played Hami in Horizon Call of the Mountain and various characters in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, also shared their concerns with Microsoft's plans: "This is scary. Recording NPC's is how many voice actors cut their teeth in this industry." The tweet continues: "This will make it even harder for new talent to break into video games (which tbh can already be pretty difficult to begin with). I'm worried for game devs and writers as well." 

Maybe they should be using AI to improve lip snycing as opposed to putting actors out of work.

Playing FFXVI currently.  The side quests suffer from the same issue, of the lip sync looking awful.  But the voice acting is all ace, even of random NPCs, which almost makes up for it.  I can only imagine how soulless it would feel if they were all AI generated voices.

I wouldn't mind it if they just used it for dialogue that wasn't recorded; otherwise, you would have to only read. Especially for long periods, like sometimes in FF XIV. It's weird when it goes from voice to just text during quests. The reason for me is that the text is harder to read and blurry sometimes, and I have to get closer to the TV.