The Great British Baking Show is peak reality television

Fizzzzle

They really did manage to get all of the cheap thrills of reality television without all of the toxic bullshit that almost always accompanies reality television. There really is nothing else like it.

God fucking forbid they ever make an American Baking Show. It'll have a bunch of knock off super models saying "I dIdN'T cOmE hErE tO mAke FrIeNdS, I cAmE hEre tO wIn" and be sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends.

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

Well that brought back pandemic lockdown memories. 

Honestly, I started watching it during lockdown because I was making fucking sourdough and shit just like everyone else, but the show actually became one of my favorite shows. Even though I haven't touched an oven in 3 years except for heating frozen pizzas (lockdowns were almost 4 years ago now, fuck your brain's sense of time)

Seriously, though, the show takes everything you like about reality television (competition, heightened drama, confessional cameras), but the people are just... normal people. Rather than have the one token ugly person for ugly-people representation every year, it's kind of the opposite. They have the one conventionally attractive person every year, and sometimes that person doesn't make it very far.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Honestly, I started watching it during lockdown because I was making fucking sourdough and shit just like everyone else, but the show actually became one of my favorite shows. Even though I haven't touched an oven in 3 years except for heating frozen pizzas (lockdowns were almost 4 years ago now, fuck your brain's sense of time)

Seriously, though, the show takes everything you like about reality television (competition, heightened drama, confessional cameras), but the people are just... normal people. Rather than have the one token ugly person for ugly-people representation every year, it's kind of the opposite. They have the one conventionally attractive person every year, and sometimes that person doesn't make it very far.

On my days off, in the dark times, me and my fiancé would watch it together. It was a nice escape for a brief bit. Should rewatch it now that I think of it.