Enotria: The Last Song (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2024) - a UE5 "soulslike" set in a sun-drenched world inspired by Italian folklore

Commissar SFLUFAN

Official site:

ENOTRIATHELASTSONG.COM

A soulslike set in a beautiful sun-lit world inspired by Italian folklore where the brightest sun casts the darkest shadow.

The world has been gripped by the Canovaccio - a twisted eternal play that keeps everything in an unnatural stasis. You, Maskless One, are the only one without a given role and master of your destiny. Defeat the fearsome Authors that created it and free the world from stagnation, by harnessing the power of Ardore.

Become the Mask of Change.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Enotria: The Last Song is a soulslike set in a beautiful sun-lit world inspired by Italian folklore where the brightest sun casts the darkest shadow. Wear unique role-altering masks, face formidable foes and alter reality with the power of Ardore to unravel the secrets of Enotria.

IGN hands-on preview:

WWW.IGN.COM

We took our first test drive with Enotria: The Last Song, a sunny soulslike powered by Unreal Engine 5 that makes some bold new attempts to bring true combat classes and flashy special abilities into the very familiar soulsborne subgenre.

Style can go a long way for an action game, where looking good is just as important as being good. Enotria: The Last Song got that message loud and clear, leading with remarkable landscapes and avant garde costumes to dress up its largely soulsborne-like combat fundamentals. I love some good soulslike clash and bang as much as the next gamer, but I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t ready for something new to the genre. Enotria, at least in theory, agrees with me there, and though my hands-on time was a great introduction to some bold new attempts to bring true combat classes and flashy special abilities into the very familiar system, it’s still a bit too early to know just how showstopping they are.

Enotria checks all of the soulslike boxes. It has stamina-regulated combat, with different weapons sporting various weights and animations, the greatsword being my favorite. It has dangerous enemies of various shapes and sizes, including jerky mini-bosses and a truly mean boss. You’ll collect “souls” that can be used to upgrade your character, so long as you don’t get killed, drop them, and fail to retrieve them before getting killed again. You’ll activate “bonfires” that serve as checkpoints and rest stops between legs of the sometimes stressful adventure. If you’ve played any of these in the past decade or so, you’ll know these are as basic to the sub-genre as boost pads are to kart racers.

So what does it do differently? Quinta, the city of aggressively jovial revelers that I skulked through in the demo, is unlike any city I’ve seen in the Souls games or otherwise. Bright and colorful tapestries and foliage drape down the walls of rustic, Tuscan townhomes and match the vibrant costumes of the city’s denizens. The sun shines, adding a sparkle to the surrounding sea. On the outskirts of the city, fields of yellow sunflowers sway in the breeze, and sandy beaches collide into stark greenery. It’s like Enotria developer Jyamma Games saw Blighttown and said, “Let's do the exact opposite of that.” Mixed with a story with heavy theater themes - it seems everyone is trapped in a reality-wide stasis where everyone believes they are playing roles in some massive stage production - and there’s a lot to chew on, aesthetically.

• Halal 1

Just randomly clicked the last video, first couple seconds shows janky, low impact hits with shoddy animations. UE5 ain't gonna build good feeling games for you, people! Those attacks looked completely wimpy. A good chunk of the fun in these games is landing a hit that smacks the shit out of an enemy, it's not just about dealing damage or dodging, presentation is huge.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Just randomly clicked the last video, first couple seconds shows janky, low impact hits with shoddy animations. UE5 ain't gonna build good feeling games for you, people! Those attacks looked completely wimpy. A good chunk of the fun in these games is landing a hit that smacks the shit out of an enemy, it's not just about dealing damage or dodging, presentation is huge.

First trailer made me want pizza but I just ate.

The second trailer looks giga ass. Lies of P is basically the standard for non-FromSoft Souls-likes, and I know they can get better than Lies of P. LoP is the only game to perfectly replicate the feeling of a Souls game. From the movement, to the weight of your weapon swings, to the way the character is animated. It everything a Souls-like NEEDS to be IMO. I won't settle for this Witcher 1 looking shit