Undertale.

CastletonSnob

25 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I couldn’t get into it, but I’m in the minority.

I'm also in the minority. It just seemed too weird for me. It also felt like the game wanted you to play through without fighting, just to show us how witty the writers are. Maybe I'll try it again down the line.

3 minutes ago, Derek said:

I'm also in the minority. It just seemed too weird for me. It also felt like the game wanted you to play through without fighting, just to show us how witty the writers are. Maybe I'll try it again down the line.

You can play through killing everyone, some people, or no one. Thinking of it in terms of the writer (just the single developer, plus an artist) trying to show how "witty" they are is strangely confrontational for just a way to play the game.

My thoughts when I beat it 3 years ago:

Positives:  Fantastic, innovative combat system where every encounter is unique.  Great soundtrack and audio design that is 'enhanced' retro.  Humor correlates with the (best) Paper Mario games, but amps it up.  Crazy and unexpected ending sequence(s).  A fantastic entry point for anyone interested in JRPGs.  And a stupidly fun FF6 callback for those who in the know.

Negatives: Not all characters are equally well written.  The dino character in particular is cringey.  I never got so invested in the story backdrop or emotional sections, because they don't really show much character growth.  It's also a little on the short side, but then again, it's an RPG without the padding.

9/10.  Much better than Earthbound.

It's overrated in the sense that it is not the best game ever and not better than the games people say it is. It is however a very good and unique game, at least if you go the pacifist route. I had watched a speed run before I played it, the description just seemed weird and I didn't get what the hype was and I wanted to see what it was about. Watching the speed run didn't change that but I still really enjoyed playing it despite having already watched it. I'm not a big fan of the minigame battles but it didn't ruin the game for me. I liked that it was short. Having watched the creepy genocide ending I have no desire to play the game differently (if you ever go down that route it saves it so you will get a creepy scene even if you do a pacifist run afterwards unless you completely erase your saves). I'd rather replay Earthbound and FFVI which I've both played multiple times than replay Undertale. I wouldn't say it's an entry point for anyone interested in JRPGs. Rather's it's for people into retro JRPGs who want to try something different.

Still, I think it's worth a play through on the pacifist route, it's not too long, the story is touching, there's some good music and the game is refreshingly different.