Judi Dench Can No Longer Read Scripts or See on Set, But Would Like to Continue to Work

Judi-Dench-color.png?mbid=social_retweet
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

The Oscar winner told The Daily Mirror’s Notebook magazine that though it feels “ghastly” being “so dependent on people” due to her deteriorating eyesight, she has no plans to retire: “You just deal with it.”

Dench was diagnosed with age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a degenerative eye condition, in 2012. Earlier this year, Dench shared that in the decade since her diagnosis, it has “become impossible” to learn her lines due to the condition. “I can’t see on a film set any more,” Dench told Notebook. “And I can’t see to read. So I can’t see much. But, you know, you just deal with it. Get on."

I'm sure this will come off as ageist, however though, Ms. Dench, you've been tremendous for decades. If you cannot physically do your job, then there shouldn't be a job to be done by you in the first place anymore then. Granted, there is the microphone in the ear being fed your lines (much like how Bruce Willis had his career going for years), but that's to the detriment of the project as well. You've had a wondrous career, perhaps see if you could do plays?

For her it’s not like continuing a job would be for us, it would be like losing a part of her identity to not be able to act. It would be like take your favorite thing in the world, listening to music, whatever, and it being taken away from you. That’s probably what quitting acting is like for her so that makes sense, she obviously doesn’t need the money. 

• Halal 2

8 hours ago, stepee said:

For her it’s not like continuing a job would be for us, it would be like losing a part of her identity to not be able to act. It would be like take your favorite thing in the world, listening to music, whatever, and it being taken away from you. That’s probably what quitting acting is like for her so that makes sense, she obviously doesn’t need the money. 

I suspect she’s also at the point her career where she only takes roles she likes and believes in. So the roles are fun and or meaningful to her. 

She’s got an amazing vocal talent for acting too. So maybe she could get more roles in animation works. Shit, I’d love to hear her voice as a major NPC in an RPG or something. Villain or o the same side as us. She’s got the range for both. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

She’s got an amazing vocal talent for acting too. So maybe she could get more roles in animation works. Shit, I’d love to hear her voice as a major NPC in an RPG or something. Villain or o the same side as us. She’s got the range for both. 

Get BigPhillyStyle to put her in Avowed

• Halal 1