William Friedkin to debut The Caine Mutiny at Venice Film Festival

• thewhyteboar changed the title to William Friedkin to debut The Caine Mutiny at Venice Film Festival

I like William Friedkin, he's an interesting director, but he's only made 3 good movies in the last 40 years, namely: To Live and Die in L.A. (1985), Rules of Engagement (2000) and Killer Joe (2011), out of 10 movies he's directed over the past 40 years. 3/10 is not a great average, but I am always curious to see how his next project turns out, like writer/director Paul Schrader.

• 2 weeks later...

About that...

GettyImages-1159493299-e1691426478443.jp
VARIETY.COM

William Friedkin, director of 'The Exorcist' and 'The French Connection,' died Monday at 87.

Director William Friedkin, best known for his Oscar-winning “The French Connection” and blockbuster “The Exorcist,” died Monday in Los Angeles. He was 87.

His death was confirmed by Chapman University dean Stephen Galloway, a friend of Friedkin’s wife Sherry Lansing. 

His final film, “The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial,” starring Kiefer Sutherland, is set to premiere at the Venice Film Festival.

• Sad 2

On 7/25/2023 at 1:04 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I like William Friedkin, he's an interesting director, but he's only made 3 good movies in the last 40 years, namely: To Live and Die in L.A. (1985), Rules of Engagement (2000) and Killer Joe (2011), out of 10 movies he's directed over the past 40 years. 3/10 is not a great average, but I am always curious to see how his next project turns out, like writer/director Paul Schrader.

Lol wut only 3?

The Exorcist, French Connection and The Boys in the Band are all fantastic. And Blue Chips is solid guilty pleasure in that cheesy 90’s sports drama genre lol. 

54 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol wut only 3?

The Exorcist, French Connection and The Boys in the Band are all fantastic. And Blue Chips is solid guilty pleasure in that cheesy 90’s sports drama genre lol. 

I said specifically in the last 40 years. :p He was great before that, I agree. Blue Chips is solid but not upper echelon. Crazy he passed away, would have liked to have seen more from him, but 87 is pretty old. At least we'll get to see his final film.

I've been meaning to do a Sorcerer rewatch and with a new transfer having come out the past few years I think it's time.

54 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I’ve seen Wages of Fear! Does that count? 

Great movie! But how does that relate to William Friedkin (I'm thinking of the 1950's film)? Also, here's a list of essential Friedkin films for anyone interested (throwing in controversial entries as well, since they're still interesting):

-The Boys in the Band

-The French Connection

-The Exorcist

-Sorcerer

-The Brink's Job

-Cruising

-To Live and Die in L.A.

-Rampage

-Blue Chips

-Rules of Engagement

-Killer Joe

7 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Isn’t Sorcerer a remake of Wages of Fear?

Man it's been so long I'd forgotten. Sorcerer is more (according to Friedkin) another adaptation of the book that The Wages of Fear is also based on rather than a remake of the French film, but yes it's basically a remake! Good call - it counts! It's hard to say which is better - Sorcerer is newer and better to me, but The Wages of Fear is a classic as well.

20 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I said specifically in the last 40 years. :p He was great before that, I agree. Blue Chips is solid but not upper echelon. Crazy he passed away, would have liked to have seen more from him, but 87 is pretty old. At least we'll get to see his final film.

I've been meaning to do a Sorcerer rewatch and with a new transfer having come out the past few years I think it's time.

Ohhhhh touche! I can’t read apparently 

• Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently Guillermo del Toro was the contractual (for insurance purposes) "back up director" for William Friedkin given his advanced age, etc. Del Toro was so excited to see Friedkin work he was on set every day, but that this was completely Friedkin's movie and the film was completed before his passing. Still, pretty cool.

442d397b30fb3021cb129b3cf046f75c.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

The studio required William Friedkin to have a potential replacement director for his final film, The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial

Regarding the novel and original film:

The film and novel influenced the drafters of the 25th Article Of Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which set forth conditions for removing the President of the United States. John D. Feerick, former dean of Fordham University School of Law, who assisted in drafting the amendment, told The Washington Post in 2018 that the film was a “live depiction” of the type of crisis that could arise "if a president ever faced questions about physical or mental inabilities but disagreed completely with the judgment", which was not dealt with in the Constitution. Lawmakers and lawyers drafting the amendment wanted no such "Article 184 situation" as depicted in the film, in which the Vice President of the U.S. or others could topple the President by merely saying that the President was "disabled"

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Apparently Guillermo del Toro was the contractual (for insurance purposes) "back up director" for William Friedkin given his advanced age, etc. Del Toro was so excited to see Friedkin work he was on set every day, but that this was completely Friedkin's movie and the film was completed before his passing. Still, pretty cool.

442d397b30fb3021cb129b3cf046f75c.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

The studio required William Friedkin to have a potential replacement director for his final film, The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial

Man, imagine have Del Toro just hanging around, excited to watch you work. :daydream:

• True 1

• 1 month later...

Good movie! There’s absolutely nothing flashy going on here, no showy camera moves or fancy editing, no rousing score. It look like what it is: a made for TV adaptation of a play, and that’s fine. Just an engaging story propelled by great performances, sometimes that’s all you need.

It passed what I call my 4am test: when I wake up too early on the weekend and can’t go back to sleep, I’ll throw on a movie as I drink my coffee and try to get my day started. If a movie keeps me fully engaged in these sub-optimal conditions, it’s gotta be pretty good. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I finally watched it. It was great. Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Clarke, and Monica Raymund were all fantastic. It nails the final scene (which any adaptation of The Caine Mutiny needs to do).

Sutherland's performance rivals that of Bogart's, and I enjoyed seeing Bob from Top Gun as Keefer. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 6:41 AM, TheLeon said:

Good movie! There’s absolutely nothing flashy going on here, no showy camera moves or fancy editing, no rousing score. It look like what it is: a made for TV adaptation of a play, and that’s fine. Just an engaging story propelled by great performances, sometimes that’s all you need.

It passed what I call my 4am test: when I wake up too early on the weekend and can’t go back to sleep, I’ll throw on a movie as I drink my coffee and try to get my day started. If a movie keeps me fully engaged in these sub-optimal conditions, it’s gotta be pretty good. 

On 1/1/2024 at 4:29 AM, thewhyteboar said:

I finally watched it. It was great. Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Clarke, and Monica Raymund were all fantastic. It nails the final scene (which any adaptation of The Caine Mutiny needs to do).

Sutherland's performance rivals that of Bogart's, and I enjoyed seeing Bob from Top Gun as Keefer. 

Yeah, I thought this movie was fantastic. It's simple, but you can see Friedkin at work, with his camera just constantly pushing in closer and closer on actors as the tension ratchets up. It may be a movie primarily in one room based on a play that's an adaptation of a book but this didn't feel like a play to me. This was a legal potboiler and I was hooked the whole time. What a performance from everyone, especially Sutherland. Loved the camerawork and editing throughout. Everyone go watch this and support a real movie with great dialogue with real scenes and stakes. The dialogue was so good, endlessly quotable. A strong final work from a master of the craft. 

Edit: Also the OP title should be changed since technically "The Caine Mutiny" is the book on which the original 1950's film is based; this movie is based on "The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial", a play adaptation of the novel which the original novelist Herman Wolk himself turned into a play, but it does have a different title with that additional "Court-Martial" in there. And the play is obviously a bit different than the original novel and original film, hence the different title for the play and this film.

• 2 months later...