Bungie successfully sues racist who was harassing one of their employees for close to $500k...

Ghost_MH

49FST3MsEMPtZwenD4qZ8K-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Bungie has taken legal action against another Destiny 2 player

This bigot got so upset over a community manager highlighting some artwork from a black fan that he doxxed them and started leaving threatening voicemails for them and their family. The win here also includes lawyers' fees.

I wish I could say I don't know why we don't see companies defend their employees like this more often, but we all know it's because they view these toxic fans as a core part of their audience. I hope we start seeing more devs and publishers do this.

• Like 1
  • Halal 4

Good on Bungie for being protective and going after this creep. People like that are why we can't have nice things.

Bungie used to have a much better community outreach program, but after a lot of harassment and overall toxicity some key people left and they really pulled back how much direct interactions they had with fans.

• Halal 1

Things like this are also why some of the Bungie devs, who have been fairly open and willing to communicate with the fans and community just pull back and disappear from social media. And then the community loses that insight into the goings on behind the scenes and decisions that affect the game. 

Good on Bungie for fighting back and having their employee’s back. 

35 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Things like this are also why some of the Bungie devs, who have been fairly open and willing to communicate with the fans and community just pull back and disappear from social media. And then the community loses that insight into the goings on behind the scenes and decisions that affect the game. 

Good on Bungie for fighting back and having their employee’s back. 

It would be nice for Bungie to be more open again and just start suing all the toxic assholes that harass them, but it likely would be a big money drain if they don't back down. No way Bungie is getting their $500k here. Dude didn't even show up to court. I guess they can always sue again to get their money and have his wages garnished.

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

Good on Bungie, but what the fuck is wrong with some people? 

When have online games not been just filled with garbage bigots? The thing is, online alpha male homophobic, transphobic, misogynist, racists are really easy to deal with. They generally back down pretty quick in the face of consequences, but devs and publishers have instead chosen to actively ignore and avoid the problem. See, can't upset all the young white guys that might be offended when you start permabanning all the racists.