High School Question… Band, Sports etc

5timechamp

For those of you who did HS Band and/or Sports… did your school programs monopolize huge chunks of your time? I understand after school practices and all that… but did you also do constant stuff during school “vacation” time? (including holidays) Some of these things are so time demanding that they seemingly overlap and force kids to choose one activity over another…

The band thing is the most obnoxious, because at this school the director gets all the prestige and the school hets the trophies… kids dont even get a letter until the end of the year (not cool for seniors)… I was just curious if this has been an ongoing thing for a while or something recent..

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

For those of you who did HS Band and/or Sports… did your school programs monopolize huge chunks of your time? I understand after school practices and all that… but did you also do constant stuff during school “vacation” time? (including holidays) Some of these things are so time demanding that they seemingly overlap and force kids to choose one activity over another…

The band thing is the most obnoxious, because at this school the director gets all the prestige and the school hets the trophies… kids dont even get a letter until the end of the year (not cool for seniors)… I was just curious if this has been an ongoing thing for a while or something recent..

Band will take a ton of time but I rarely meet kids who don't think the time is more than worth it. It's a fantastic experience imo, especially if it sounds like they place well in competitions.

51 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Band will take a ton of time but I rarely meet kids who don't think the time is more than worth it. It's a fantastic experience imo, especially if it sounds like they place well in competitions.

They do place rather well (at least the past 2 school years)… Having not participated myself the time demands seem excessive specially some of the “passive aggressive” tone in the messaging whenever you might miss an event. (the burden of proof that you may be out due to being sick is a bit higher than expected)…

I guess it bothers me more for the sport because the time demand is equally high but the product on the field doesnt match and its clear that the problems with the team are the result of bad coaching.. If you host a 2 hour military style “smoke session” at midnight as a means to work on fitness and cant place a basic gameplan for your team over the course of a season then theres a problem.. even moreso when the kids complain that team culture is nonexistent  

Dont mind me, Im just salty… some aspects of the mechanisms of these school programs just annoy me..