PS5 expandable storage question.

Jason

I tried to Google this and wasn't finding anything. I just got a PS5 and the first thing I did was stick an additional 1 TB SSD in it. If I want to upgrade to a bigger expansion drive down the line how big of a hassle is it? Does stuff like saves ever get put on the expansion drive, or is it simple to just put in the new drive and re-download whatever games were being stored on the expansion drive (and/or can you clone the drive over so you don't need to re-download everything)? 

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you have ps+ then you should have cloud saves so it’s just a matter of redownloading either way. I think all saves go on the main drive anyway tho

I wasn't planning to pay for PS+ immediately, certainly at least not until I'm done with TotK. But yeah saves all going on main drive solves it anyhow.

Any knowledge on whether you can move game data over to a bigger expansion drive later or if you just have to redownload?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wasn't planning to pay for PS+ immediately, certainly at least not until I'm done with TotK. But yeah saves all going on main drive solves it anyhow.

Any knowledge on whether you can move game data over to a bigger expansion drive later or if you just have to redownload?

You can move from one drive to the other including external, you just can’t play off the external. But you could copy everything as backups to an external then take out the old drive and put a new one in and then back from the external to the new one.

• Halal 2

I would buy an m.2 to USB adapter or external enclosure when you buy your new drive, plug that into the PS5 and copy your games to the new drive, and then swap the old drive with the new drive. Now you have upgraded internal storage on the PS5, and a spare 1TB external drive to use for whatever you want.

2TB drives are pretty cheap these days though, why didn't you just go with 2TB now?

So...am I missing something or is it not seeing the SSD?

j7PqRcr.pngz7zciNu.png

On 6/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

2TB drives are pretty cheap these days though, why didn't you just go with 2TB now?

I was using up Dell credits from American Express and didn't have enough credits left for a 2 TB after using a bunch of it to buy the PS5. Planning to get a 2 TB when the credits reset for the second half of the year on July 1 but figured I may as well grab a 1 TB now since stuff always randomly gets de-listed at Dell.

51 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Did you get a PCI-E 4.0 drive?

PS5 will not recognize a 3.0 drive, even though there are some 3.0 drives faster than many 4.0 drives. 

Also when you boot it up after installing a new drive there will be a formatting screen before it loads your home page.

Yeah it says PCIe 4.0 on the box for the drive. Restarted the PS5 and I didn't see anything about a formatting screen. Could the fact that I installed the drive before ever plugging in the PS5 be the problem here?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah it says PCIe 4.0 on the box for the drive. Restarted the PS5 and I didn't see anything about a formatting screen. Could the fact that I installed the drive before ever plugging in the PS5 be the problem here?

Are you sure the drive is plugged in all the way? You should’ve felt it slide into the connector.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Are you sure the drive is plugged in all the way? You should’ve felt it slide into the connector.

Could have sworn so, and it lined up right with the spacer, but I guess I'm gonna have to open it back up and reseat it. :frustrated:

9 hours ago, Jason said:

You might have to update your OS since SSD support was not available on early versions of the PS5 firmware.

Which is odd for a new PS5 to not have a reasonably latest firmware.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You might have to update your OS since SSD support was not available on early versions of the PS5 firmware.

Which is odd for a new PS5 to not have a reasonably latest firmware.

It wanted me to do a system update immediately when I turned it on. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You could try removing the drive, power cycling the console, then re-installing the drive.  Upon bootup you should get a formatting screen and it will test the drive's speed too.

I'll give that a try later. Wouldn't surprise me if the ultimate problem is that it's somehow only like 99.9% seated and that's causing the connection to fail. 

14 hours ago, _BJ_ said:

Curious what drive you got?  I was thinking of getting this one but it's a little pricier then I wanted. 

That link doesn't work. Just go for an SN850x or an SK Hynix Platinum P41 if you want the "best" and add an $8 heatsink. Alternatively there's the Nextorage ones which are owned by Phison and Sony - 2tb should be under $120 if you get the one without a heatsink and it's only a hair slower than the others I mentioned (there will be absolutely no difference in actual real-world usage). The Samsung 980 Pro is also a fine option now that it's price has dropped considerably since Samsung released the 990 Pro.