Messi might/probably will play for Inter Miami

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2023%2F0608%2Fr1184331_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Messi's decision to join MLS is a seismic one. Here's what we know about his Inter Miami contract, his debut, the David Beckham connection and more.

This is like when Beckham went to the Galaxy but even bigger. I'm legit excited for how this might impact MLS. His contract is pretty awesome. Including but not limited to: getting a cut of revenue from new subscribers to Apple TV/MLS, an option to be a part owner of the club upon retirement, jersey sales obviously, and profit sharing on just about everything.

• GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Messi might/probably will play for Inter Miami

I saw an interesting post on reddit that postulated his contract structure with Apple/Adidas will make it easy for Barca to get him on loan with minimal disruption to his time with Miami...Not sure a player his age can play that much (especially with the Copa next year) but it's an interesting idea.

18 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I would take long term reoccurring revenue that will over time eclipse a large one time payment any and every day over that large one time payment. 

You aren’t going to live forever. And I doubt you will go through 1.6 Billion on top of everything else that guy is worth. But hey you do you. 

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You aren’t going to live forever. And I doubt you will go through 1.6 Billion on top of everything else that guy is worth. But hey you do you. 

Yes that’s a point towards my logic. I’m not going to spend 1.6 billion so why would I take that deal? AND have to live in Saudi Arabia? I might not live forever but my family line could go on for quite some time.

• True 1

Hmmmm...

Take 1.6 bil, when I'm already worth hundreds of millions of dollars (if he's not a billionaire already), but it means I have to live in Saudi Arabia for like 8 months out of the year...

OR

Take a deal that will still be worth something in the 9-figure range at some point, I get to chill in Miami and pretty much do whatever I want...

When European stars come to the MLS, they can do whatever they want. When Ibra came over, he straight up said "I'll never play on turf." And for the most part, he didn't.

Messi could say "hey dudes, I'm gonna play with Barca this week, you work out the deets... Toodles" and they'll make it happen.

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Brian said:

Messi ain’t going to Barca. Barca can’t even register the players they have let alone a salary Messi will require. Barca finally registered Gavi after his contract was voided by La Liga due to financial restraints. 

From what I’ve read FFP rules only apply to club wages, so given that his actual salary with the club is paltry, it might be possible. 

49 minutes ago, Chris- said:

From what I’ve read FFP rules only apply to club wages, so given that his actual salary with the club is paltry, it might be possible. 

Loan fees factor into it. I can’t imagine Miami loaning him out, but if the club does, it won’t be free. 

Maybe it’s possible if then can sell some fringe players. Problem is no one wants to leave Barca.