Northern cities vs. Southern cities.

CastletonSnob

It's hard to group them all together. New Orleans is actually fairly walkable/bikeable, which is pretty wild for a city in the sun belt. Dallas/ft worth is a shit hole. It's like LA if you took out all the good parts. Miami really depends. There are parts of it that are awesome and parts of it that suck. Virginia Beach chugs massive asscock. It's like Dallas if you took out all the good parts. Also it actually gets pretty fucking cold in Virginia Beach. Not like Northeast/Midwest cold, but like Portland/Seattle cold.

I haven't spent enough time in any other southern city to have an opinion on them.

I haven't spent too much time in the northeast so I don't have an opinion there, but I've lived in both Portland and Seattle. Honestly not that much difference between them. The weather sucks for like 8 months out of the year. Depending on where you live, you can go pretty car-free/car-lite in both cities, which is nice. It's actually cheaper to live in Seattle right now, which is wild. My brother recently moved back there to save money on rent.

Oh wait, I HAVE spent enough time in Indianapolis to have an opinion, and that opinion is "no."

58 minutes ago, Biggie said:

People from the north often move to the south. I wish they would stay where the fuck they are.

I'd be curious to see some actual data on this, because my experience is that people always complain about others moving in. When I was in Idaho it was Californians, when I was in Germany it was Turks, and now that I'm in Oregon it's again Californians. :p 

• Sicko 1

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

From my travels, I would say you tend to see more difference between older cities vs newer cities than north/south.

Also I feel even within cities a newer part of one city might be more similar to a newer part of another city than an older part of the same city.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

From my travels, I would say you tend to see more difference between older cities vs newer cities than north/south.

That is true, but I also think of it geographically. Cities like Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Columbus, Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, etc all just had population booms as soon as the car was introduced and turned into massive suburban sprawl. That's why, other than weather, there really isn't all that much difference between them. They're all cookie-cutter to a certain degree.

Other cities, whether they're older or not (although they usually are) like Charleston, New Orleans, New York, the Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, Boston... all of those cities are naturally very geographically constrained. Not to say that they don't have suburban sprawl, every city does (especially the Bay Area), but it does hit a point where it has to stop. All of those cities I just mentioned hit a point where they can't grow out anymore decades ago. It's also why those cities have downtowns that don't have massive amounts of parking, because parking is a shitty use of valuable land in a city where land is a precious commodity.

I mean hell, even Los Angeles has hit a point where it can't grow out anymore. There is no more land to develop that isn't at least like a 90 minute drive with no traffic from any job center.

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I moved from New Jersey/ New York to LA... does that count as moving from North to South since I literally moved across the country?

As someone who did it twice. No lol

DMV was pretty comparable to So Cal IMO, sans the snow.