Evil West fuckin' rules.

Xbob42

So, was looking for a simpler, more linear palate cleanser after Tears of the Kingdom. Then I saw someone mention Evil West and I remember thinking it looked pretty cool. So I pick it up and goddamn I'm having a blast. I'm only a few hours in but I've been loving every minute.

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, but in my mind it kind of feels like if someone made an arcade version of God of War. And I don't mean you have lives or die a lot, I just mean it's get some story, go to location, kick some ass, explore a teensy bit for hidden goodies, a bit more story, kick ass again, buy upgrades, repeat.

It's not some super somber, deep or complex game, although the combat itself is a joy and offers many tools and options to tackle each fight. Hell, you know how people have been bitching about yellow or white lines where you can climb in games? In Evil West they just glow. Like, super bright. Like hey dipshit, go this way. I love it.

Combat is largely melee with you using a big ass electric gauntlet to beat the shit out of vampires and their "familiars" with at this point in the story I think are just mind-controlled humans that have become abominations? You hit 'em with combos, air juggle them, launch them up and then canon ball them into the environment, into spikes or TNT, off of cliffs, etc. You've got a quick revolver that you can fan just by holding down the button, you've got a long gun on the left trigger that you can aim and do heavier but slower damage (including hitting weak points, but the game mostly auto-aims so you just have to have good reflexes, not do intense aiming) and a big ass shotgun that'll do serious damage and blow off armor if an enemy has any. These all just recharge naturally, no keeping track of ammo or anything.

Then you start unlocking more things bit by bit, all of sudden you can electro-teleport to enemies or pull them to you, either way you shock them and can do a "punch the shit out of their face really fast" combo which I first recall seeing in the Arkham games, you can then unlock stuff like using electricity to slam them down while airborne, a move where you just jump at them and do an AOE shock, and a big room-wide zapper on a longer cooldown.

All this to say that the game is 100% focused around beating the crap out of enemies and having a great time doing it. Every upgrade I've gotten feels meaningful and like it either adds to my arsenal of tools or makes one of my existing tools immediately feel a lot better. (Like one where hitting a weak point with the long rifle immediately refunds the bullet, so less time waiting on a cooldown or forcing a manual reload.)

That's a lot of text, so the short version is just watch the first few seconds of this video to get an idea of the stupid fun shit you'll be doing:

Game's fifty bucks, but is on sale for a bit cheaper on GMG. I've been having an absolute blast with it though and apparently it's about 11 hours, so a nice length for a good time.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

So, was looking for a simpler, more linear palate cleanser after Tears of the Kingdom. Then I saw someone mention Evil West and I remember thinking it looked pretty cool. So I pick it up and goddamn I'm having a blast. I'm only a few hours in but I've been loving every minute.

I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, but in my mind it kind of feels like if someone made an arcade version of God of War. And I don't mean you have lives or die a lot, I just mean it's get some story, go to location, kick some ass, explore a teensy bit for hidden goodies, a bit more story, kick ass again, buy upgrades, repeat.

It's not some super somber, deep or complex game, although the combat itself is a joy and offers many tools and options to tackle each fight. Hell, you know how people have been bitching about yellow or white lines where you can climb in games? In Evil West they just glow. Like, super bright. Like hey dipshit, go this way. I love it.

Combat is largely melee with you using a big ass electric gauntlet to beat the shit out of vampires and their "familiars" with at this point in the story I think are just mind-controlled humans that have become abominations? You hit 'em with combos, air juggle them, launch them up and then canon ball them into the environment, into spikes or TNT, off of cliffs, etc. You've got a quick revolver that you can fan just by holding down the button, you've got a long gun on the left trigger that you can aim and do heavier but slower damage (including hitting weak points, but the game mostly auto-aims so you just have to have good reflexes, not do intense aiming) and a big ass shotgun that'll do serious damage and blow off armor if an enemy has any. These all just recharge naturally, no keeping track of ammo or anything.

Then you start unlocking more things bit by bit, all of sudden you can electro-teleport to enemies or pull them to you, either way you shock them and can do a "punch the shit out of their face really fast" combo which I first recall seeing in the Arkham games, you can then unlock stuff like using electricity to slam them down while airborne, a move where you just jump at them and do an AOE shock, and a big room-wide zapper on a longer cooldown.

All this to say that the game is 100% focused around beating the crap out of enemies and having a great time doing it. Every upgrade I've gotten feels meaningful and like it either adds to my arsenal of tools or makes one of my existing tools immediately feel a lot better. (Like one where hitting a weak point with the long rifle immediately refunds the bullet, so less time waiting on a cooldown or forcing a manual reload.)

That's a lot of text, so the short version is just watch the first few seconds of this video to get an idea of the stupid fun shit you'll be doing:

Game's fifty bucks, but is on sale for a bit cheaper on GMG. I've been having an absolute blast with it though and apparently it's about 11 hours, so a nice length for a good time.

I enjoyed it as well! I rated it a 7/10 and I would probably bump that up in retrospect. Towards the end it got a bit overly spongey and enemy’s were taking too long to drop. Seemed like it was padding out the length and made the combat less fun than it had been. But I’d probably give it a solid 8/10 in retrospect just thinking of how much I think fondly back on it and it’s crunchy ass combat. 

I saw a person playing it IRL and was surprised at how good this game looked. It made me ask "What game is that," and I was surprised to never have heard of it.

I don't think I'm interested in it enough to play it these days, but if a game like this came out when I was younger I'd probably be getting it.

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll bite at $29.99

If you are looking for pc it’s $32.50 on cdkeys so it’s close!

Maybe it’s selling well as it is idk but it seems like they should be putting on $30 and uber sales for this as a lot of people are waiting on this type of game for that. I’d be afraid people would just stop waiting by the time they do it. $50 standard price is good but I haven’t seen any good sales on the major sites.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How are the visuals? "Next-gen" quality?

Well, it’ll be 4kish 60fps which I consider a feature of next gen consoles, but it looks like a last gen game running at the res/fps. It looks better and has more varied environments than I thought from pictures I had seen though. But the killing itself looks good and that’s what matters here.

• Halal 1