The case for the world's greatest technological invention fuckup.

unogueen

Back in 1994, my dad had the only singular forethought in his life and bought me a PC. 486/33 4megs of RAM double speed disc drive. Pretty good for a time. And through the liberal sales at the time of random disc collections I got to experience Doom, Encarta, Corncob 3D. Plenty of others. I used to join BBSes and other communication channels to talk to all sorts of walks of life, and shared these stories with friends.

I also grew enamoured by cybersecurity, or the contemporary lack for such things and cherished stories of  Robin Hood style invasions on infrastructure. That and 90% of anything you did then with a computer was basically crimes. Whether copying that floppy, gorging on media on share platforms, how many people actually owned a copy 3DS MAX, but they would go on for greater things regardless. At that point it was obvious how price was barrier that hinders productivity. Then came the years of web ubiquity where there was always rampaging trojans or something else. And every reformat was a race against the clock to update your virus definitions. Even then, with things like wikipedia on the horizon, I developed a consideration that the PC was the greatest tool of liberty. The whole sum of collective human knowledge accessible 24/7, maybe not easy to reach, but unassailable once acquired.

But then I saw the conglomerates buying infrastructure like it was land. Is there really anything more rent seeking than social media? Most people probably have a pinned list of maybe five sites they visit. All else dark web for all they care. And this advent of AI, which is sold as 'competent' only because it lies that way, now we have neuro surveillance devices ready to be printed. Fuck the government. You boss is about become your worst nightmare.

3 hours ago, unogueen said:

Back in 1994, my dad had the only singular forethought in his life and bought me a PC. 486/33 4megs of RAM double speed disc drive. Pretty good for a time. And through the liberal sales at the time of random disc collections I got to experience Doom, Encarta, Corncob 3D. Plenty of others. I used to join BBSes and other communication channels to talk to all sorts of walks of life, and shared these stories with friends.

I also grew enamoured by cybersecurity, or the contemporary lack for such things and cherished stories of  Robin Hood style invasions on infrastructure. That and 90% of anything you did then with a computer was basically crimes. Whether copying that floppy, gorging on media on share platforms, how many people actually owned a copy 3DS MAX, but they would go on for greater things regardless. At that point it was obvious how price was barrier that hinders productivity. Then came the years of web ubiquity where there was always rampaging trojans or something else. And every reformat was a race against the clock to update your virus definitions. Even then, with things like wikipedia on the horizon, I developed a consideration that the PC was the greatest tool of liberty. The whole sum of collective human knowledge accessible 24/7, maybe not easy to reach, but unassailable once acquired.

But then I saw the conglomerates buying infrastructure like it was land. Is there really anything more rent seeking than social media? Most people probably have a pinned list of maybe five sites they visit. All else dark web for all they care. And this advent of AI, which is sold as 'competent' only because it lies that way, now we have neuro surveillance devices ready to be printed. Fuck the government. You boss is about become your worst nightmare.

Agree it went from a democracy to a tightly controlled media machine. You can definitely break away from it somewhat but most people don't care to.