Finally getting my priorities straight... everything is ready for my new build, but how do I get a GPU?

Bjomesphat

Been off the grid for quite awhile. Preparing for a new baby, arrival of a new baby, surviving a new baby. But things are finally settling down now and it's time for a new build to prepare for the onslaught of 2023. I've literally been using the same parts since 2013 (aside from some GPU upgrades), so I've slowly been gathering together parts as I see deals popup. There was a recent Microcenter deal on a CPU/mobo combo for a i7-12700k that I couldn't pass up (even as tempting as 13th gen is), and now I'm at the last piece of the puzzle, the graphics card.

The RTX 4000 series is out of my league in pretty much all areas, so I'm hoping to get a 3080ti or at the very least a 3080 at no higher than MSRP, but is that even going to be possible? I haven't been following the stock situation too closely, but I thought with the crypto crash there would be an abundance of these available, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Any suggestions? Are we expecting more stock in the new year at reasonable prices? I'm pretty firm on not overspending on inflated prices, so I don't mind waiting.

• Halal 1

GPUs are much easier to get now as long as you keep checking stock. A 3080 Ti retails around $900+ still iirc (all the OC versions that dominate the shelves will run you $1000-1100), a 4080 is $1200 and is around 35-40%+ faster, and frame generation is showing to be essential for some games (Witcher 3 RT, Portal RTX) at 4k. You’d really be best off spending the extra $300 (or less), IMO. :) 

However, if you’re willing to buy used on eBay (and still under warranty), you can get ones for $700-800.

Also worth noting that the 4080 OCs pretty well and seems to net reviewers an extra 8-12%. The card, non-OC’d, is about 80% the performance of a 4090. There’s also the 4070 Ti that should be coming early/mid next month which should roughly match or slightly beat a 3090 Ti for $800-900.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

GPUs are much easier to get now as long as you keep checking stock. A 3080 Ti retails around $900+ still iirc (all the OC versions that dominate the shelves will run you $1000-1100), a 4080 is $1200 and is around 35-40%+ faster, and frame generation is showing to be essential for some games (Witcher 3 RT, Portal RTX) at 4k. You’d really be best off spending the extra $300 (or less), IMO. :) 

However, if you’re willing to buy used on eBay (and still under warranty), you can get ones for $700-800.

Also worth noting that the 4080 OCs pretty well and seems to net reviewers an extra 8-12%. The card, non-OC’d, is about 80% the performance of a 4090. There’s also the 4070 Ti that should be coming early/mid next month which should roughly match or slightly beat a 3090 Ti for $800-900.

Well one of the main problems with the 4080/90 is that they're literally too big for my case. :p

Not to mention the extra power draw and the cost as I have a pretty strict budget. I'll keep an eye on the 4070ti though. Perhaps I'll be able to squeeze that one in.

24 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Well one of the main problems with the 4080/90 is that they're literally too big for my case. :p

Not to mention the extra power draw and the cost as I have a pretty strict budget. I'll keep an eye on the 4070ti though. Perhaps I'll be able to squeeze that one in.

The 4080 uses about 100watts less under load: 3080 Ti is 350watt draw, 4080 is just 251. What case do you have?

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The 4080 uses about 100watts less under load: 3080 Ti is 350watt draw, 4080 is just 251. What case do you have?

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/GD08/

The 4000s are just a bit too tall.

I've had it since 2013 and still looks great for my HTPC setup. I'm not against a new case, but I'd have to find something that works in my living room.

And good to know about the power.

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/GD08/

The 4000s are just a bit too tall.

I've had it since 2013 and still looks great for my HTPC setup. I'm not against a new case, but I'd have to find something that works in my living room.

And good to know about the power.

I'm not really familiar with that case or that type of case so, unfortunately, I can't help much there. However, this size chart might be useful for you: 

Those are 4090s, but the 4080s are the same dimensions afaik.

Funny enough, I have 3 Microcenter's in driving distance (a luxury, I know), and now that I've been stalking their site daily, they actually get pretty regular restocks. I've also been looking on the used markets and prices seem pretty reasonable as well. Shouldn't be too hard to get a card as I thought.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Are you playing at 4k? Or 1440p? If it's the latter, you might also want to consider something like an AMD 6950 XT or 7900 XTX. Much cheaper than the Nvidia alternatives (and easier to find), but really great for 1440p gaming.

Amd.com restocks at 10am eastern time.

• Halal 1

On 12/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Are you playing at 4k? Or 1440p? If it's the latter, you might also want to consider something like an AMD 6950 XT or 7900 XTX. Much cheaper than the Nvidia alternatives (and easier to find), but really great for 1440p gaming.

I don't care about native 4k if I have to sacrifice performance. 1440p is fine, hell, 1080p is fine.

Anyway, I ended up getting a factory refurbished 3080 for $650 on Amazon. Listed as excellent condition. I figure if I'm checking out the used market, it will be much less hassle to return via Amazon than another route. Crossing my fingers!

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Welp, PC wouldn't reliably post with the used 3080 installed, sent that back right away. Just going to get a 4070ti now and be done with it. Even if it's a bit overpriced.

If you get it off BestBuy and use their CC, if you use the code DEC23EMOB25 you should get 10% off which brings the 4070 Ti down to $720 (Now only $20 more than what it should've launched at :p ). 4080 drops to $1080, but there's the potential size issue with your case.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If you get it off BestBuy and use their CC, if you use the code DEC23EMOB25 you should get 10% off which brings the 4070 Ti down to $720 (Now only $20 more than what it should've launched at :p ). 4080 drops to $1080, but there's the potential size issue with your case.

Good tip, though I don't have a Best Buy CC (maybe my mom does though :p). Question though, there are OC models that can range anywhere from $40 - $100 more, surely those gains aren't worth that, right?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think long term you will be happy you got the 4070ti especially as more dlss3 supported games come out. Especially if you are able to take advantage of that $720 deal!

Yeah I think you're right. Especially considering I'm more than happy at 1440p and not native 4k.

Just now, Bjomesphat said:

Good tip, though I don't have a Best Buy CC (maybe my mom does though :p). Question though, there are OC models that can range anywhere from $40 - $100 more, surely those gains aren't worth that, right?

Yeah I think you're right. Especially considering I'm more than happy at 1440p and not native 4k.

Only worth it if you don't want to OC it on your own. OC gains are pretty nice on the 4070 Ti, some games benefit as much as +15%.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

If you want to go 4k then it will be much better than 3080 as well especially with dlss3, anything with dlss3 you should now be a lock for 4k/60+

• Thanks 1

Copy pasta from Reddit for someone who exploited every deal imaginable for the 4080: 

This only works if you DO NOT already have a BB credit card.

Here's what I did:

applied, got instant approval.

added 4080 to cart and used the 10% off promo code q4fy23save10 (and threw on another $5 off coupon I already had)

Best Buy gives 10% in points for your first purchase with the CC which is $108 in points

Best Buy gives $100 gift certificate after you spend your first $100

Total Cost without tax is $1080 - $108(10% back) - $100(reward certificate) = $872.

Comes out to $955.31 after tax for me.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Got my 4070ti and it runs like a dream. Thanks for all the BB tips @Spork3245 . With promotions and my mom's credit card, I managed to get it for $85 off. Not bad to get a brand new card for around $700. Should have been $600 but what can you do.

I think $700 is the right price for a 4070 Ti :angry-fap-small: