It's almost October. It's fall anime season time, and now there's something for everybody...

Ghost_MH

The summer anime season pretty much sucked. The only anime I wound up really liking was Hideo Kojima's big summer recommendation, Lycoris Recoil. Wildly fun series with only one more episode left. I guess Kojima does have good taste when it comes to anime.

Either way, the fall season is PACKED. There is so much good and potentially great anime this season, I don't even know if I'll have time for it all. There's enough that I'm definitely going to be dragging the kids through some of these series with me.

The first series that I am absolutely not going to drag the kids with me for is my bet on the hit of the year...

I love the manga for this series and the anime looks pretty true to the source. I'm really looking forward to this one.

We've got a third season for Mob Psycho 100 coming up...

Don't let the art fool you. The first two seasons are so very good. One of the best action comedy anime out there.

There's the second half of Spy x Family's first season...

It's Mr and Mrs Smith, the anime, but with a mind reading little girl that can't do much right. It's mostly light hearted and great.

After an actual decade, we're finally getting an anime adaption of Bleach's Thousand Year Blood War arc...

Animation looks great. The story is totally a miss for me, but the action paired with the animation should be wildly fun. I also have no idea where to watch this. It doesn't seem to have been picked up by Crunchyroll and there was some reporting that Disney picked up the distribution rights, but I don't know if that includes the US. First episode comes out 10/10 and Disney has yet to make an announcement about it. That's a lot of silence for something that's going to run for at least 44 episodes. Yes, you read that right. This is set to run 4 cours. That is, 4 seasons of at least 11 episodes each. They might not all run concurrently, but that's still going to be new Bleach coming out at a steady pace for the next year plus.

There's a remake for the anime classic Ususei Yaysura coming to...some streaming platform...

The only thing that's been announced is that we're getting 46 episodes, starting 10/14.

New Gundam!

It's not part of the Universal Century timeline, but who cares. It's actually our first female lead/pilot. It looks so very good. Also on Crunchyroll.

There's more weirdly CG Berserk coming, because that's the best we can get apparently...

If you ever thought 1999's Legend of Mana would make a great anime, well, here you go...

You can find this one on Crunchyroll.

Also, if you were ever curious where the hell my icon ever came from, well DiGi Charat is getting it's first new anime in some fifteen years...

Don't try to make sense of it. Don't try to enjoy it. It's like if you took all the cutesy weirdness of anime and removed any and all sense from the equation...usually not in a good way. I have no idea where this is going to air and I'm afraid to ask.

There is a bunch more coming up next month that could also be good. Like I said. It's a packed season.

• Thanks 1

I just finished Cyberpunk: Edgerunners and am currently on Blade Runner: Black Lotus. I believe the latest season of My Hero Academia starts this October, so I'll definitely be catching that. Would eventually like to get to Chainsaw Man. Also I don't think that's more Berserk is it? It's just the old CG Studio 4 degrees C Berserk film trilogy I think?

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just finished Cyberpunk: Edgerunners and am currently on Blade Runner: Black Lotus. I believe the latest season of My Hero Academia starts this October, so I'll definitely be catching that. Would eventually like to get to Chainsaw Man. Also I don't think that's more Berserk is it? It's just the old CG Studio 4 degrees C Berserk film trilogy I think?

I believe you're sort of right about Berserk. It's a rerelease of the movies cut up with, if I'm not mistaken, some new footage added to pad it out into a full TV series. Not that it makes much of a difference. I dropped it after the first movie and I doubt they could change anything that would make that trilogy not suck.

Yes, My Hero Academia is back for season 6. Pop Team Epic is back for season 2. Gotten Kamuy gets a season 4. One Piece and Boruto will also continue into the fall.

Actually, one anime that I'm looking forward to that probably wouldn't appeal to many around here is probably Bocchi the Rock!. Musical anime aren't exactly the most popular.

Even though that's right up my alley, I might miss it with so much can't miss anime this fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I believe you're sort of right about Berserk. It's a rerelease of the movies cut up with, if I'm not mistaken, some new footage added to pad it out into a full TV series. Not that it makes much of a difference. I dropped it after the first movie and I doubt they could change anything that would make that trilogy not suck.

Actually, one anime that I'm looking forward to that probably wouldn't appeal to many around here is probably Bocchi the Rock!. Musical anime aren't exactly the most popular.

I didn't mind the film trilogy (not saying it's good or anything though). It's got nothing on the 1997 anime and it's a retread of that at best but it at least prepared you better for the 2D-3D CG hybrid of the 2016/2017 two-season Berserk TV show that was finally a sequel. They are truncated and I feel you may as well watch the 1997 anime instead, but it does include more things from the manga like Puck, etc.

I know I've missed a bunch of musical anime but I was always a big fan of Black Heaven and Beck. That was a pretty dope trailer. I still have to see Shinichiro Watanabe's Carole and Tuesday. Also I just started watching a few episodes again (every few years I get through 100 or so) of One Piece, but I'm back at episode 530. I believe they are currently at 1,066 or something. :p 

Also I was thrilled to finally see an announcement of One Punch Man season 3 (studio to be determined I believe). I actually liked season 2, it was pretty badass, the only mistake J.C. Staff really made was what the fuck with the color pallette?

Well, looks like we have a new anime to add to the fall season dropping in November.

I don't read this one, but this is a WILDLY popular Webtoon series. I just checked and the English translation of the series has 2.6 million subscribers. It's nice to see these manwha get anime adaptations. The last big ones were Noblesse, Tower of God, and God of Highschool over on Crunchyroll and next year we'll see Solo Leveling. This one is being animated by Study Mir, so that's going to be interested. They might not be the biggest animation studio in SK, but they're possibly the best. I imagine Pinkfong is the biggest right now; what with them rolling in all that Baby Shark money.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Also, the Jujutsu Kaisen movie finally comes out this week outside of theaters. (Seriously, F Japanese studios and this outdated 1+ year after theaters to bluray/streaming BS)

Yeah, it's going to be 2023 before I get to watch Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero and that one has already been spoiled for me thirty times over. I would be perfectly happy paying $20 just to rent these and watch at home. I'd also be perfectly happy to wait for them to leave theaters and then pay $20 to rent and watch them at home. Instead JK0 waits a year and never gives me the option to hand them any money before going straight to Crunchyroll.

I don't get it.

9 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, it's going to be 2023 before I get to watch Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero and that one has already been spoiled for me thirty times over. I would be perfectly happy paying $20 just to rent these and watch at home. I'd also be perfectly happy to wait for them to leave theaters and then pay $20 to rent and watch them at home. Instead JK0 waits a year and never gives me the option to hand them any money before going straight to Crunchyroll.

I don't get it.

If you’re interested… I may… know a way to watch DBS:SH now… :angry-fap-small:

Hey, first real trailer for Urusei Yatsura...

I just realized how crazy this trailer looks to someone that's never seen any of the original series. This series is going to be simulcast on HiDive 

Also, Spy x Family starts tomorrow. The new OP isn't bad. It'll be hard to top the old ED, though.

• Thanks 1

New anime season is officially underway. Spy x Family's first episode was great. This series continues to be an amazing adaptation of the manga, but I'm not here to write about that.

MS Gundam The Witch from Mercury. Holy shit that prologue episode. Seriously. That's the best first episode of an anime I've seen in a long ass time. Wow. Granted, I've always had a soft spot for Gundam. The mix of political and military intrigue set to the backdrop of mechs blowing shit up is fantastic. This is why I've always preferred the UC Gundam timeline stuff more than most of the alternate timeline series. It's fine though. That doesn't matter in this case. I have no idea if the quality to remain as high as the introduction, but that was quite an introduction. No, you don't need to know anything about Gundam before watching this. It's a completely alternate timeline with mechs that are unlike any other Gundam from other series. You won't lose anything going in Gundam-blind.

It is a premium-only series on Crunchyroll, so you'd need a subscription to catch it there. No option for free with ads on most of Crunchyroll simulcast series. Still...if anyone has a subscription to Crunchyroll, they should go out of their way to at least check out the prologue for Witch from Mercury. It is seriously that good.

• Thanks 1

Well, Bocchi the Rock was exactly the kind of cute socially awkward band anime I thought it would be. I'm in.

Also of note, Disney has confirmed they have worldwide distribution rights for Bleach. The new season will be available in the US on Hulu come Monday, the 10th. Everywhere else in the world gets to watch the new season on Disney+.

Also, also, gundam.info will be streaming The Witch from Mercury on YouTube. If anyone wanted to give it a shot, but has no interest in picking up a Crunchyroll subscription, well, you're in luck.

Here's the prologue...

Episodes 1 and 2 will be available on Sunday, the 9th. That does mean it'll air simultaneously on Crunchyroll and YouTube. I don't see why Crunchyroll should keep this as a premium-only series. May as well move it into their free tier.

• Thanks 1

Chainsaw Man started today and it's off to a wildly good start. Seriously. Go watch Chainsaw Man. As a huge fan of the manga, I was not disappointed in the least. The first episode was a great adaptation of the first chapter of the manga with amazing animation and a few slight changes here and there to improve the pacing. I'm a fan. Also, the opening song is perfectly chaotic, filled with scenes from other movies that won't ever make their way into the anime. Good stuff.

csmmovie1-1.png.jpg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Chainsaw Man manga creator Tatsuki Fujimoto has made it no secret that he's a film buff and the anime's OP pays homage to that with blink-and-you'll-miss-it recreations of cinematic moments.

Glad folks are enjoying the series.

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always miss the stuff streaming on HiDive. If anyone for some god forsaken reason actually has a subscription to HiDive, the latest anime making some waves is Akiba Maid War. I don't really recommend it, but if you really want something that feels like one of those ultra-violent anime that would pop up on VHS at a Blockbuster back in 1994 with some very dubious cover art that maybe looks like a hentai even when it isn't...this is for you, I guess?

Also, I didn't realize the new DiGi Charat was a Youtube series. I also don't recommend it. Back in the late 90s when being animated randomness was a fairly unique take on comedy, it doesn't quite hit the same twenty-something years after Adult Swim. Also, this new series is very well animated, but really dull. They could have done a lot better.

For an anime I really do recommend, Bocchi Rock has some very creative animation. The use of live action along with a bit of stop motion with a dash of Looney Tunes is great. I'm really loving this series.

• Thanks 1