Canada Supreme Court: Saying "no, not without a condom," does not mean “yes, without a condom”

condom-supreme-court.jpg?quality=85&stri
GLOBALNEWS.CA

The court ruled on a British Columbia case in which a complainant told a new sexual partner that she would only have sex with him if he wore a condom.

In a 5-4 decision Friday, the top court says that “no, not without a condom” should not be found to mean “yes, without a condom” in a courtroom.

The court has ordered a new trial in a British Columbia case in which a complainant told a new sexual partner, Ross McKenzie Kirkpatrick, that she would only have sex with him if he wore a condom.

The fact Kirkpatrick used a condom the first time they had sex led the complainant to assume that he was already wearing one when he initiated sex for a second time, she told the court – but he wasn’t, which she said she did not realize until he ejaculated.

• SaysWho? changed the title to Canada Supreme Court: Saying "I won't have sex, not without a condom," does not mean you've consented to sex with a condom
2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

“no, not without a condom” should not be found to mean “yes, without a condom”

Fright's title:

"I won't have sex, not without a condom," does not mean you've consented to sex with a condom

We've been Rileyed!

• Halal 1

I think the topline ruling is pretty obviously correct. The reason it was 5-4 (when Canada's Supreme Court typically rules much more lopsided) is, I think because in this specific case this is what happened:

• Woman was going to have sex with man, but said only if he wore a condom (which he did)
  • Later, they were going to have sex again, and she didn't express this opinion again explicitly, and he didn't wear a condom (without her knowledge)

So the question is: If she's set the standard for condom-wearing once, should it be assumed to stand until revoked? Or does she need to express this each time? The court says that yes, consent for a certain act (and excluding other acts) remains in place until revoked, it does not need to be restated each time.

I agree with that.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Fright's title:

We've been Rileyed!

???

“no, not without a condom” should not be found to mean “yes, without a condom”

means

"I won't have sex, not without a condom," does not mean you've consented to sex with a condom

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

@SaysWho? That makes sense, but the title of the post doesn't:

Canada Supreme Court: Saying "I won't have sex, not without a condom," does not mean you've consented to sex with a condom

The bolded part should read does not mean you've consented to sex without a condom

Ah, I see; I didn't say without.

The negatives are tripping me up.

• SaysWho? changed the title to Canada Supreme Court: Saying "no, not without a condom," does not mean “yes, without a condom”
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

The story as presented in the thread title seemed like a story. The actual story seems like a no doi situation and how the fuck did 4 of them rule otherwise? What happened to SCOC justices being better picked @CitizenVectron?

As usual, I imagine it's the specifics of the situation, and details we don't read about in the topline story. Because they are ruling on a specific case, not the idea itself, necessarily.