Tony Sirico - "Uncle Paulie Walnuts" from Sopranos has Passed Away

50 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

RIP.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to rewatch the series.   I don't think I have since it ended.

I have... it doesn't hold up as well as you think it would. The Sopranos iks a very uneven show at times. There are some really good seasons, one and two I think, and a couple of really mediocre ones with great episodes. The Pine Barrens episode is one of my favorites, but If I recall that season as whole was pretty lackluster. There is some really clunky writing in some episodes too. It was a groundbreaking show for sure, but a tad overrated in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have... it doesn't hold up as well as you think it would. The Sopranos iks a very uneven show at times. There are some really good seasons, one and two I think, and a couple of really mediocre ones with great episodes. The Pine Barrens episode is one of my favorites, but If I recall that season as whole was pretty lackluster. There is some really clunky writing in some episodes too. It was a groundbreaking show for sure, but a tad overrated in my opinion.

the sopranos hbo GIF

• Like 1

I kind of agree with @skillzdadirecta here. 

I think the first two seasons are fantastic, but then it just really drops off. 

I also think theres a problem with character development. For all his therapy, I don't see a lot of growth or change in Tony, or really any of the cast besides willow. The rest of them are the same degenerate they were at the beginning of the previous season. Sone a little more degenerate.

• Halal 1

42 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I also think theres a problem with character development. For all his therapy, I don't see a lot of growth or change in Tony, or really any of the cast besides willow. The rest of them are the same degenerate they were at the beginning of the previous season. Sone a little more degenerate.

They are a criminal organization made up of narcissist and psychopaths. Lol. What the hell. 

12 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Overrated my ass, sorry but such a bad take. I've watched & re-watched the series SO many times. In fact, in lieu of this latest development, I'll probably go back & finish the most recent binge I had started a number of weeks back. Ouch @skillzdadirectaI love ya man but DAYUM hearing that take just HURT ME!

I've rewatched the series a TON of times as well and yeah, I'll agree to disagree. There is some REALLY bad writing in some episodes and I can even call specific examples out. Me and my friends at the time were HUGE fans of the show and we would always be stunned when the show would get overly preachy with some of its subtext.  Sometimes you could literally hear the writer talking and not the character. Like I said, the first two seasons were amazing, season three was a bit uneven...   I can't remember what season The Pine Barrens episode was in but I remember that season being pretty bad which mad that particular episode shine even MORE for how good it was.

But yeah, while the show never fell off as bad as Game of Thrones did, it DID have a similar trajectory in my opinion. at a certain point, you watched for the characters and actors. They would introduce storylines and never pay them off... (What ever happened to the Russian that Paulie and Chris killed in The Pine Barrens and why was there never any consequences for that?) They just kinda forgot it happened. It's why shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and The Wire are all better shows in my opinion because those shows pretty much pay off EVERYTHING they set up and when you binge them in their entirety, everything fits. There was an article awhile back that said the writers of the Sopranos were bored with the show and damn near hated the characters and you can almost feel it at certain points. I KNOW at the time David Chase wanted to end the show a lot earlier than he did but HBO basically backed the money truck up to his house and we got the last couple of seasons. But again @SoberChef Love ya right back but I stand by my overrated comment. I'll pop your brain even more with this one... not only do I think The Sopranos is not as good as it's lesser rated HBO stablemate The Wire, I also think Boardwalk Empire is an overall better show than The Sopranos as well.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

This didn't really bother me... one of the things I really liked about the show is how it deconstructed the myth of the American Gangster that films like The Godfather, Goodfellas and others had built up. It showed how fucked up these people were and how they didn't even follow their own rules. Showing how scummy these guys were as opposed to smoothe operators like Micheal Corleone was refreshing at the time. Shit, one COULD argue that The Sopranos in a lot of ways whacked the American Gangster film :p