Ys X Concept art revealed, plus some details

Fizzzzle

Ys-Next-Concept-Art_06-22-22.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has a feature on the 35th anniversary of the Ys series, including the first concept artwork for the next entry in the series and an interview with Falcom president…

- More focus on 1-on-1 combat, though there is still going to be a party. No more details on that yet.

- Younger Adol, around the same age he was in Ys I & II

- Sounds like they want to release it on every platform

Iirc Ys IX didn't run very well on the Switch, so I wonder if they're developing Ys X as a Switch title first to get better performance. I don't know why the news outlets are like "they're making Ys a Souls-like!" That's not what the interview said, and anyone who's played the older Ys games knows that they kind of already were almost a really fast-paced Souls-like experience, with combat being entirely focused around timing and dodging.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they're going to do with party mechanics, since it says they're changing it a lot.

Also, if anyone hasn't played an Ys game yet, they're tons of fun. Combat is a blast in all of them, they're fast-paced, they don't take all that long to beat (with the exception of Ys VIII), and the stories are only loosely connected with a few recurring characters here and there, so you can jump into any of them. Not to mention the chronology of the games is kind of all over the place anyway. It sounds like Ys X will take place either before or right after the original.

• Like 1

I need to get back to Ys9 on switch, I was really enjoying it then I got hit by a truck and other stuff came out. Loved Ys8. Though yeah Ys9 looks a little rough on switch, but I never thought it was horrible like XB2 or something. 

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I still need to get around to playing the other nine

You should. They're fun, fairly light action RPGs. Not that they can't be punishingly difficult if you want them to be.

Ys Seven or Memories of Celceta is where I would choose to start. They're both like 20-25 hour games, and that's if you want to do sidequests. They're a blast and get you used to the gameplay in a way that the older titles kind of struggle with.

Ys I & II play almost like a top-down shooter in some areas, especially during boss fights.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You should. They're fun, fairly light action RPGs. Not that they can't be punishingly difficult if you want them to be.

Ys Seven or Memories of Celceta is where I would choose to start. They're both like 20-25 hour games, and that's if you want to do sidequests. They're a blast and get you used to the gameplay in a way that the older titles kind of struggle with.

Ys I & II play almost like a top-down shooter in some areas, especially during boss fights.

I've managed to track a lot of them down... this series has probably the most convoluted release history I've ever seen. I have collected most of them except for Ys V which apparently never officially had an English version, but have yet to actually play more than a little bit of Chronicles and a few minutes of Dana on PS4.

That combat in Chronicles though.... not a fan.

6 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've managed to track a lot of them down... this series has probably the most convoluted release history I've ever seen. I have collected most of them except for Ys V which apparently never officially had an English version, but have yet to actually play more than a little bit of Chronicles and a few minutes of Dana on PS4.

That combat in Chronicles though.... not a fan.

It takes some getting used to, for sure. It's nothing like the combat in the rest of the series, though, other than in pace. The other games have, like... attack buttons and dodges, lol. That's why I usually don't recommend Ys I & II until you've played a few of them. I still found them fun, but had I not played 3 or 4 other Ys games beforehand, I probably would have noped out pretty fast.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I really like how Ys 8 and 9 play and am slightly worried they might fuck it up. That said, I just beat Ys 1 and am working on 2 and despite those having very strange combat system they're still super fun as well.

Really great series that I hope continues to be great. I hope they don't neuter the game to try to get it run better on the shitty ass Switch. I mean, why would they? Switch folk eat up any kind of performance problems anyway! (I mean I know some of you play a lot of Switch games but you clearly still eat it up, don't pretend! I just want the game held back as little as possible by tech BS.)

That reminds me, has there ever been a sequel to Xanadu Next in the same style as that game? I got it on Steam a couple years ago while just kind of bored and it had fairly middling reviews, but I played through the whole thing in like 3 sittings. I found it extremely fun and the constant trickle of upgrades just made it feel consistently rewarding without being so over-rewarding that they lose meaning.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I really like how Ys 8 and 9 play and am slightly worried they might fuck it up. That said, I just beat Ys 1 and am working on 2 and despite those having very strange combat system they're still super fun as well.

Really great series that I hope continues to be great. I hope they don't neuter the game to try to get it run better on the shitty ass Switch. I mean, why would they? Switch folk eat up any kind of performance problems anyway! (I mean I know some of you play a lot of Switch games but you clearly still eat it up, don't pretend! I just want the game held back as little as possible by tech BS.)

That reminds me, has there ever been a sequel to Xanadu Next in the same style as that game? I got it on Steam a couple years ago while just kind of bored and it had fairly middling reviews, but I played through the whole thing in like 3 sittings. I found it extremely fun and the constant trickle of upgrades just made it feel consistently rewarding without being so over-rewarding that they lose meaning.

Switch is maybe my favorite console ever and even I don’t want to see this being developed for switch first! Definitely not one being developed in 2022 when a successor should be coming soon, unless they mean switch 2 but can’t say it yet! 

Then again Ys8 was designed to run on vita which was less powerful than a ps3 and that still held up fine, Im sure it will be okay still. They are so low budget it probably doesn’t matter much either way.