What is this witchcraft? PS1 Tomb Raider ported to the GBA...

Ghost_MH

It's pretty good witchcraft. I do wonder how much the game is helped by being based on more modern code that replicates the original game instead of being based off the original source which is quite archaic (it's fun when you have old friends who use to work somewhere). Yet with that said the dev did some really creative optimization to get every little bit out of the GBA that deserves heaps of praise for.

12 hours ago, chakoo said:

It's pretty good witchcraft. I do wonder how much the game is helped by being based on more modern code that replicates the original game instead of being based off the original source which is quite archaic (it's fun when you have old friends who use to work somewhere). Yet with that said the dev did some really creative optimization to get every little bit out of the GBA that deserves heaps of praise for.

When I first saw it, I swore it must have been another one of those "look what I squeezed a Pi Zero into". Even the 3DO port of OpenLara is impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I just saw this and was about to post about it! Yeah this is some programming wizardry. Amazing. And the developer thinks he can get the entire game running on a GBA cart? FMV and everything? Like...HOW. This is crazy. 

And how can you play it with just 4 buttons? :p

GBA carts can be pretty large and shoving FMV on one isn't a complicated subject matter (note I worked for the company that created the GBA Video Carts that use to flood store shelves). Not to mention in this day & age we can kind of cheap and make larger carts than were offered during the GBA's life.

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And how can you play it with just 4 buttons? :p

No idea, but I figure they must consolidate functions to make it work. I mean, DOOM and DOOM II are surprisingly easy to control. If this dev can figure out how get the game to *run* on the hardware, I would assume there is enough creativity to get the control scheme working, too.

8 hours ago, chakoo said:

GBA carts can be pretty large and shoving FMV on one isn't a complicated subject matter (note I worked for the company that created the GBA Video Carts that use to flood store shelves). Not to mention in this day & age we can kind of cheap and make larger carts than were offered during the GBA's life.

True. I think in the video MVG said the size of the cart would be 32KB. Not sure if that’s typical for a GBA cart or not? But obviously yeah parts are a lot cheaper nowadays.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

No idea, but I figure they must consolidate functions to make it work. I mean, DOOM and DOOM II are surprisingly easy to control. If this dev can figure out how get the game to *run* on the hardware, I would assume there is enough creativity to get the control scheme working, too.

Doom 1 and 2 have a lot simpler controls and you can run them on a graphing calculator it's different.

• 3 months later...