question

heydude93

If you've been taking psychiatric medication for a decade that you became dependent on (unable to sleep if you miss a dosage and there could be more serious health problems if you don't ween yourself off one month per each year you've been taking it) and you recently noticed symptoms that match descriptions and pictures of a rare side effect that could be/likely is fatal, what would you do?

I would carefully journal said side effect symptoms (date/time, duration, details of each incident, etc) and inform my doctor. I would ask what the best course of action would be. If my Doctor hand waved me away regarding these concerns, and I thought I was in real danger, I would get a 2nd medical opinion right away. 

• heydude93 changed the title to question
4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I would carefully journal said side effect symptoms (date/time, duration, details of each incident, etc) and inform my doctor. I would ask what the best course of action would be. If my Doctor hand waved me away regarding these concerns, and I thought I was in real danger, I would get a 2nd medical opinion right away. 

wow that first part (journaling everything they experience) didn't even occur to me and sounds like a good call.  would you say should they see a physician before contacting their clinic about it?

1 minute ago, heydude93 said:

wow that first part (journaling everything they experience) didn't even occur to me and sounds like a good call.  would you say should they see a physician before contacting their clinic about it?

I definitely would! The Physician can provide a more educated insight into these concerns and can engage other medical experts input as needed. The important part, IMO, is that one should engage their doctor in a one on one conversation and underscore their concerns immediately. Make them understand, with data, what is happening. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Not how that works. Kind of the other way around actually. 

Technically no lol, I got covid because someone I interacted with didn't believe in using masks and later admitted they had it :p Luckily nothing too serious, lack of taste and smell were as bad as my symptoms got and I've since been vaccinated so that should be that.

Anywho the question in OP was actually something I was asked the other day. They hit me with it when I wasn't ready so I had no idea how to respond and still didn't hours later so I thought I'd post it here and see what happens. There's already some pretty solid advice so far I didn't think of (journaling symptoms to show to a doctor, calling doctor by phone to get an opinion asap, etc). ^_^

17 minutes ago, Rachel said:

If you think you might have something serious or fatal just go to the damn doctor as soon as possible. Don’t know why there has to be an investigation about it lol. There’s no mystery here. 

Obviously he is seeking attention 

On 8/31/2021 at 3:20 PM, Rachel said:

If you think you might have something serious or fatal just go to the damn doctor as soon as possible. Don’t know why there has to be an investigation about it lol. There’s no mystery here. 

I think they're just concerned about having to take the medication for another ten months to safely wean off it no matter what the doctor says since missing doses abruptly can also result in severe health problems, but it's possible there might be more options too. Anywho worse things happen in the world so the overall consensus itt that it's not something to take too seriously (excluding biggie's post since he might be expressing it ironically) is probably right tbh  ^_^