laptop suggestions?

Remarkableriots

I'm not really sure about what constitutes an acceptable minimum for a laptop graphics card right now but 1368x768 screen resolution is just a hard fucking pass. It's not usable. At work I have a 15" Macbok Pro that I run in 1920x1200 mode, while the main Windows laptop option is 1368x768, and those people seem to pretty consistently view their laptops as something they drag between docking stations. I've watched them try to use their laptops not hooked up to anything else, and it doesn't matter if they're younger and more tech-savvy or older and more tech-inept, NONE of them like using their laptops if they have to use the built-in display.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not really sure about what constitutes an acceptable minimum for a laptop graphics card right now but 1368x768 screen resolution is just a hard fucking pass. It's not usable. At work I have a 15" Macbok Pro that I run in 1920x1200 mode, while the main Windows laptop option is 1368x768, and those people seem to pretty consistently view their laptops as something they drag between docking stations. I've watched them try to use their laptops not hooked up to anything else, and it doesn't matter if they're younger and more tech-savvy or older and more tech-inept, NONE of them like using their laptops if they have to use the built-in display.

Cool ty! I'll avoid that one!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234954&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=gaming_laptop-_-34-234-954-_-Product

This one is 1920 x 1080 with FHD screen? 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm generally a fan of Asus products, but that is a laptop that will perform with similar capabilities to a tablet. If light work loads and web browsing are its primary use then yeah, go for it! Anything else would require a bit more power. 

I want to get something that would play older games like Torchlight, WoW, FF XIV and other old pc games in my steam backlog. The gpu names on laptops are just confusing to me. I want to get a laptop because I can take it to work for graveyard shift.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:01 AM, Remarkableriots said:

That has a GTX 1050, will be the most gaming capable machine you've shown by a long shot.

Hmmm, well, if you are willing to really drop the settings and play at lower resolutions, you can certainly run games like that on an integrated graphics card. That said, you would likely still want a laptop with 8Gb of total ram, at a minimum, as integrated graphics typically will need to use some of your system RAM as its video ram while gaming.  

49 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@Mr.Vic20

I tried upgrading the ram from 8 gb to 16 gb based on reviewers saying the laptop lags and it changes the price to $1,049.00! Stupid question probably but could I buy the ram separately and does it have to be the same brand of ram?

7 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Mr.Vic20

I tried upgrading the ram from 8 gb to 16 gb based on reviewers saying the laptop lags and it changes the price to $1,049.00! Stupid question probably but could I buy the ram separately and does it have to be the same brand of ram?

8Gb should be fine for a system at that level, don’t bother going to 16. I’m not sure if it’s built for easy RAM replacement or not though.