Microsoft announces Windows 365: a streaming, cloud OS usable on any device

cloud-pc-render.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Microsoft has today announced its new Cloud PC service, officially called Windows 365, allowing users to create installs of Windows 10 or 11 in the cloud and stream the OS to any device. The service will go live August 2nd, and is designed to bring the best of Windows to any device, including Mac, iPad, or Android devices.

This is the future of computing.

Microsoft has offered Azure Virtual Desktop for a while now, and Citrix (among many others) has offered something very similar. I wouldn't expect the pricing to be too different from the solutions that exist now.

It seems like this is mostly a re-branding along with a few new features. Hopefully it will be easier to manage.

I have access to virtual machines hosted locally and on my company servers, so I can attest to the value in having another virtual PC at your disposal. For me, sometimes there's just another task that I need running that I don't want to disturb, sometimes it's resource intensive and I don't want to slow down my primary machine, and sometimes I need a system that is outside of my network to test or verify things on.

It's hard to imagine the pricing being such that I'd be interested in moving my company users over in any large numbers. If we really wanted to do that, we could have invested in the server hardware and done so long ago.