Fortnite for Android will ditch Google Play Store

TwinIon

In an effort to get around Google's 30% cut, Fortnite on Android will only be available through Epic's website, not through the Google Play Store. That's a massive deal, and it'll be interesting to see how Google responds. It's possible that they just accept that Fortnite is an exception, and that it will remain that way, not provoking other big name games to follow its lead. It's also possible that this could lead to the seemingly inevitable breakdown of the hard and fast 30% cut, which at one time seemed so generous, and now seems like a ridiculous burden.

I'm not familiar with the iOS version. Does it just not allow in-app purchases, or is Epic just paying Apple's ransom?

I think they just pay the ransom on iOS. Unless there is some weird back door thing going on, they give the normal cut to apple.

Google is really going to have to draw a line in the sand, or this could get messy for them.

Fortnite has made $160 million dollars on iOS in like 4 months. It's insane. 100 million downloads... If it was a normal game, 100 million "sales" would put it third on the list of best selling games... right after Minecraft and Tetris.

38 minutes ago, ort said:

I think they just pay the ransom on iOS. Unless there is some weird back door thing going on, they give the normal cut to apple. 

I assumed either they just paid, or they made it like Amazon Prime where you get re-directed to a web page before you can buy anything.

I'll download it for funsies, but I can't imagine being competitive on a phone.

Side note: With as much money as Fortnite makes I wish Epic could come to some agreement with Sony on the account locking.  Or a demonstration of some sort.  Disable it for a weekend or something (planned, of course) to rile up PS4 players and get the problem back in the news.  I really want to play on my Switch. :( 

I wonder how likely it'll be that a significant number of people (enough to surpass the 30% cut they're trying to avoid) will actually go to a website on their phone and give a shit about this?

I feel like if it's not on the play store, millions of people will assume it just doesn't exist on the platform and not download it at all.

But I guess they're in a position to find out!

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I wonder how likely it'll be that a significant number of people (enough to surpass the 30% cut they're trying to avoid) will actually go to a website on their phone and give a shit about this?

I feel like if it's not on the play store, millions of people will assume it just doesn't exist on the platform and not download it at all.

But I guess they're in a position to find out!

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm sure it's still going to be super popular, but I'd imagine being number one on the Google Play top charts would make it even more popular.