Rise Of The Ronin (PS5) - update (03/26): "A Good Game Marred By Technical Challenges" (Digital Foundry technical analysis)

skillzdadirecta

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dig that Shinobi costume! I might make this a ps5 pro launch game assuming there is a patch.

I think that's the Ryu Hyabusa suit from Ninja Gaiden. This is a game that I can see myself beating and then replaying with a different build and making different choices. They apparently affect the outcome of the game... I think I'm gonna go anti Shogunate on this first playthrough yes.

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think that's the Ryu Hyabusa suit from Ninja Gaiden. This is a game that I can see myself beating and then replaying with a different build and making different choices. They apparently affect the outcome of the game... I think I'm gonna go anti Shogunate on this first playthrough yes.

I do plan to play this wether it be on ps5 pro or pc so I don’t want to l spoil too much - but it sounds like this is a bit more accessible difficulty wise than something like Nioh - is that right? I really liked Strangers of Paradise which was Team Ninja but it had difficulty options.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I do plan to play this wether it be on ps5 pro or pc so I don’t want to l spoil too much - but it sounds like this is a bit more accessible difficulty wise than something like Nioh - is that right? I really liked Strangers of Paradise which was Team Ninja but it had difficulty options.

I would say so... it's really just learning the mechanics and which stances to use in which situations. And learning to parry... that's is ESSENTIAL to making fights easier. There's a LOT of meat on this bone though especailly for people who like to experiment with builds and people who love Samurai/Ninja movies and anime. The game is tough though... there's one boss I just can't beat but fortunately he's optional and you can also abandon any missions you get stuck on and comeback to them later. I've been basically wandering the map getting into fights and leveling up and honing my skills.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I would say so... it's really just learning the mechanics and which stances to use in which situations. And learning to parry... that's is ESSENTIAL to making fights easier. There's a LOT of meat on this bone though especailly for people who like to experiment with builds and people who love Samurai/Ninja movies and anime.

Awesome, I can do okay at parrying as long as the window isn’t ridiculously short. Yeah I just love me some Ninja action so looking forward to this one. Did you play Wanted:Dead? Seems like something you’d like too, I loved it.

I don't know what happened but this game has really clicked for me. Been playing a lot the last couple of days, it's pretty much taken over my Dragon's Dogma time. Really digging the open world, very Rockstar-esque chock full of quests and inetersting side characters. Combat has clicked too, just beat a boss that was giving me problems. This does feel like it's on the easier side for a Team Ninja game. Really impressed with what they did with their first open world game. It's more of livel, lived in world than most other recent open world games I've played.  FInally gonna start moving the story forward later.

• Like 3
  • Hype 1

Well well. This game is pretty dang good. So far I'm enjoying it more than DD2. Should have never doubted Team Ninja open world and all. It definitely has that 'just one more thing' to it. Looking forward to more time with it

• Halal 4

28 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

It definitely has that 'just one more thing' to it.

Right? And the versatility in the gameplay is what gets me... I mean you could conceivably do an unarmed build if youwanted. I feel like the only thing holding this game back are the graphics and the A.I. when it comes to stealth. The enemies are truly deaf and blind when it comes to stealth gameplay. The graphics aren't terrible, but they aren't  as good looking as say a Ghost of Tsushima. It does have a more lively open world though... as I said it reminds me of a Rockstar game in that regard. The gameplay is king here though. Team Ninja NAILED it.

• Like 1

Gonna have to watch the DF video today to see if I won’t be too picky to play it now or wait for pc or pro but I’m sold from these impressions to play this sometime this year now

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Gonna have to watch the DF video today to see if I won’t be too picky to play it now or wait for pc or pro but I’m sold from these impressions to play this sometime this year now

I mean it runs at 60fps on ps5. It's that the overall visuals are not so hot. No texture work here. The open world looks nice and the gameplay is fun. It's worth checking out. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I mean it runs at 60fps on ps5. It's that the overall visuals are not so hot. No texture work here. The open world looks nice and the gameplay is fun. It's worth checking out. 

The performance mode definitely sounds too low - I’d need to use vrr with one of the other modes. I mostly moved past reconstructed 1080p in 2009 or so.

I’ll most likely have to wait but I am looking forward to it, and it’ll be good to have some food for the pro this winter. Just hope a patch is day1 with the console.

• True 1

Ghosts is just an example of great art design and clever use of the tech available then making it look so good still. There isn’t actually a lot of geometry or anything super taxing in Ghosts. It’s really all the art style and covering the fields with the flowing flowers. That part is impressive and looks great but it’s a lot less taxing than filling in the geometry that Ronin is doing.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ghosts is just an example of great art design and clever use of the tech available then making it look so good still. There isn’t actually a lot of geometry or anything super taxing in Ghosts. It’s really all the art style and covering the fields with the flowing flowers. That part is impressive and looks great but it’s a lot less taxing than filling in the geometry that Ronin is doing.

That's why I initially said the overworld in Ronin is better looking than Ghosts. 

I really can't put this game down. This is like my dream game from when I was younger watching Ninja Scrolls and Five Element Ninjas...I haven't touched Dragon's Dogma 2 in like a week because all I've been playing is this. Aside the setting and aesthetics, the combat in this game is sooo deep. So many styles per weapon. And this game isn't bad for a first attempt at an open world RPG. :Looking forward to seeing what Team Ninja does next in this space.

• Like 1

I played for four hours today only to realize that I'm just now getting to the second of the THREE large regions in the game.  The thing about this game is the gameplay loop is so well done and the combat is so good that you don't mind wandering around the map getting into fights, leveling up, getting stronger gear and most importantly learning new styles. The combat in this game is so deep I would LOVE for team NInja to do a similar game that focused mostly on unarmed combat. This game has an unarmed comabt style in it but I don't now how deep it goes.

Spent most of the morning trying to beat a boss (bosses) that were kicking my ass. Took a break, did some other shit and came back and killed them on the first try. I don't expect this game to be on too many GOTY lists but it's definitely gonna be on mine.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

On 4/14/2024 at 12:38 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I played for four hours today only to realize that I'm just now getting to the second of the THREE large regions in the game.  The thing about this game is the gameplay loop is so well done and the combat is so good that you don't mind wandering around the map getting into fights, leveling up, getting stronger gear and most importantly learning new styles. The combat in this game is so deep I would LOVE for team NInja to do a similar game that focused mostly on unarmed combat. This game has an unarmed comabt style in it but I don't now how deep it goes.

Game is so good that I went back and Played Ninja Gaiden Sigma just to appreciate how far Team Ninja has come

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1