Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition - update: Nightdive Studios discusses the botched launch and what it's doing to fix it (PCGamesN)

Brian

• 1 year later...

Releasing on Thursday:

bladerunner-1.jpg?fit=830%2C535&ssl=1
BLOODY-DISGUSTING.COM

After being delayed from its 2020 release, Nightdive has announced that 'Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition' will be released this week.

After previously running into delays with development, Nightdive Studios finally has a release date for their upcoming Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition. In fact, the game will be arriving later this week!

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition will release June 23rd digitally across PC via Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and the Nintendo Switch. For those physical media enthusiasts, Limited Run Games will have orders up for Switch and PS4 physical editions beginning this Friday.

• Thanks 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update - Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition to release for PC/XB1/PS4/Switch on Thursday

Not sure just how much I care since I never played the original but alas, it's apparently not looking too great and has sound issues and crashes:

blade-runner-enhanced-edition-key-art.jp
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

A remastered re-release of Westwood's excellent Blade Runner video game is out today, though it looks worse than the recent GOG release.

A Nightdive developer who posts on ResetERA said the first patch should be deployed soon.  This is the changelog so far:

Added missing audio and text localization (video localization to come in a later patch)
Added missing subtitle credits
Added GOG achievements
Fixed possible deadlocks and memory leaks
Fixed various menus not responding to resolution changes
Fixed menu sliders sound loop when dragged with the mouse
Fixed Borderless Window setting on PC not sticking
Added setting to disable widescreen borders
Added setting to change ingame brightness
Fixed McCoy not being able to walk freely in certain rooms (eg. Runciter's)
Fixed subtitles not displaying during outtakes
Fixed outtakes not playing at 60fps
Fixed fog not rendering correctly in certain rooms (eg. Chinatown)
Fixed McCoy clipping into vehicles in certain rooms (eg. Runciter's)
Fixed green flicker during transitions
Fixed items not displaying after loading a savegame

• 1 month later...
blade-runner-enhanced-edition-launch-rac
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Nightdive Studios talks about the mistakes that led to the botched launch of Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition, and what it's doing to fix it

“The responsibility for the ship date and, in retrospect, the failure to change the ship date resides 100% with me,” Kuperman tells us flatly. “The ship date was picked because it aligned with the 40th anniversary of the movie – that seemed that it would be something that would be a really cool thing to do for the fans.”

“I think it was more of a death by a thousand cuts,” Giannakis says. “We had a lot of small things that were kind of upsetting people or bothering people about the game. I wouldn’t say there was any one major showstopper – we heard feedback about things like, ‘we don’t like the border that you have, can we turn that off?’ Or ‘there’s no brightness settings in the game, can we have that?'”

The quality assurance team also faced unique challenges with Blade Runner due to its use of RNG to determine certain events players encounter – playing the game the same way will produce different outcomes, compounding the amount of time required to test the game.

To add to this, Kuperman explains, several members of the QA team were taking time off to recuperate from COVID-19, and Giannakis, the lead producer, was in the middle of a cross-country move.

“Anyone who knows me knows I have a strong personality,” Kuperman adds. “Maybe Dimitris [Giannakis], if he’d been on board, would have been the one that said, ‘hey, we’re not ready.’ Maybe it was because of my personality, because of who I am, that nobody told us we weren’t ready.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition - update: Nightdive Studios discusses the botched launch and what it's doing to fix it (PCGamesN)