Next Gen Battlefield coming in 2021

crispy4000

EA said it is releasing this new Battlefield game in 2021 instead of 2020, when the new consoles release, to take advantage of their larger install base. "Bringing out Battlefield [in 2020], where the new console base is fairly small, doesn't really give justice to the potential of the title, and so that's part of our driver in moving the title into fiscal 22," EA management said.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-returns-in-2021-for-ps5-and-xbox-serie/1100-6476603/

I could argue that they could make it cross-buy like Cyberpunk (where the next-gen version won't be available at launch, but you'll still get it later), thus taking advantage of the current-gen install base. But its EA and you cant expect that kind of forward-thinking, consumer-friendly move from them.

Besides, it's probably a good thing theyre taking an extra year. I dont think anyone will miss it 

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

From the article, it sounds like they might be targeting next-gen and leaving current gen to the wayside to narrow their focus.  We'll see.

The problem with EA's marketing. They couldve just said "We're taking an extra year to make sure the next Battlefield is as good as can be, taking full advantage of next-gen consoles." And everyone would be okay with that.

Instead they spout some bs about install base. Thats true of every console launch. It never stopped them before.

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Instead they spout some bs about install base. Thats true of every console launch. It never stopped them before.

Waiting until a year after launch is now pretty common for next-gen only titles.  EA did it themselves last-gen with Dragon Age Inquisition.

Battlefield didn't do it that way last gen, but I wouldn't blame DICE wanting to this time with their RT focus as of late.

Can't wait to play an imbalanced game that only gets through 1/2 the war it's about before they pull support because of some arbitrary schedule.

I used to be the biggest BF fan. Got into the series with the original, and LOVED the Desert Combat mod (and then BF2). BF3 was a bit different, and a little too simplified, but it was still a lot of fun, and I have great memories playing with people here. BF4 was...just the same. BF1 was not great at first, but got better...but still lacked magic. BF5 was a turd. Honestly, at this point just make an alternate-history entry about a 1980s hot war between the US and Soviet Union with some sci-fi elements or something. I don't give a shit about realistic weapons since they refuse to balance properly anyway.