DC Announces New Distribution Plans For Print Comics

So not sure if you guys knew this but new comics stopped shipping in late march because of issues with Diamond Retailers, the comic book industry's main distributor. Both Marvel AND DC had stopped shipping print comics, so for the first time in MY lifetime that I can remember NO NEW COMICS have come out for at LEAST the last three weeks and people were worried about the comic retail industry being abandoned in favor of the big two going completely digital. DC has just announced their plans to have two new companies handle their distribution in edition to Diamond Retailers Details of the plan here

DC has announced a revised shipping schedule for its upcoming print books, with two new distributors stepping up to facilitate it all. This comes after the near-exclusive Direct Market comics distributor Diamond suspended distribution in late March. And although Diamond has plans to resume distribution in mid- to late May, DC has set-up new distribution deals with two mail-order comic stores that are delving into B2B comics distribution.

"To assist with the immediate distribution of DC titles during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, we've secured the assistance of two distributors to help facilitate orders of and shipping of our revised publishing schedule," DC told retailers in an email Friday afternoon. "Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors have agreed to work with us to distribute these new comics."

Newsarama has confirmed that Lunar and UCS are in fact newly-created sister companies to long-time mail-order comics giants Discount Comic Book Service (DCBS) and Midtown Comics, respectively. These two retailers are among the biggest Direct Market comic sellers, and Midtown has for years handled DC's subscription sales.

No word from Marvel yet...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So not sure if you guys knew this but new comics stopped shipping in late march because of issues with Diamond Retailers, the comic book industry's main distributor. Both Marvel AND DC had stopped shipping print comics, so for the first time in MY lifetime that I can remember NO NEW COMICS have come out for at LEAST the last three weeks and people were worried about the comic retail industry being abandoned in favor of the big two going completely digital. DC has just announced their plans to have two new companies handle their distribution in edition to Diamond Retailers Details of the plan here

No word from Marvel yet...

Even with new shippers is there stores open to ship it to?

14 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Even with new shippers is there stores open to ship it to?

No idea... but you will at least be able to order comics your self. Even when Midtown comics closed in NY during the current shut down, I was still able to order my weekly comics and have them delivered to me here at my parents' place. Once they stopped shipping new books I wasn't even able to do that. You can still order back issues though.

• Thanks 1

Mine is also open. I went to get hard plastic sleeves for a few of my books. Glad there's a comic thread here so I have an excuse to post this, but this quarantine and working from home has given me time to catalog, organize, and store my comic collection. 1400 comics all fit nicely in a filing cabinet. Two rows in each drawer. All bagged and boarded. It's a thing of beauty. 

Those stores haven't gotten any new books (newly released books) from Marvel or DC since late March. Folks were worried that this disruption would accelerate any plans that Marvel and DC may hvae had to dramatically cut back on shipping monthly paper books and focus solely on Digital comics, Trades and Graphic novels and TV and Movies. Hell there were already rumors DC was getting out of publishing comics, largely started by alt-right comic artist Ethan Van Sciver and this was BEFORE the Corona virus Pandemic. The rumor has it that since AT&T bought DC's parent company Time Warner, the money guys haven't been happy with the comic publisher and may be looking to get OUT of the Comic business. Which has also led to speculation that Disney Marvel may even BUY DC :shock: Kevin Smith talked about how comic stores could potentially be hurt when this whole Diamond Distributor thing first happened

He says that his shop will be fine but other smaller ones across the country and beyond probably wouldn't be able to survive a long period of time without new comics and foot traffice because the comic's industry was ALREADY hurting. I'm glad that they are resuming shipping new comics because I don't think I would be happy with JUST digital comics.