Gothic Remake (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - "Sneak Peak" article from DualShockers

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 2 years later...

Before we can trust you, you'll first need to pass the TEST OF FAITH. Can you handle that?

Prepare yourself for a visit in the Old Mine, a dangerous place full of vicious creatures. Descend to the bottom and find Ian - he's your man. Tell him that Diego sent you. If you come back alive with the supplies list, we can talk about you joining us.

That's all you need to know... for now. Oh, and before you leave, ask Graham for a map. What are you waiting for? Get going!

Gothic 1 Remake is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

• 11 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gothic Remake (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - "Welcome to the Old Camp" THQ Nordic Showcase 2023 trailer
  • 1 month later...
WWW.DUALSHOCKERS.COM

An exclusive tour around PC gaming's most famous mining colony, with Game Director Reinhard Pollice.

But the gameplay presentation I saw definitely is faithful to the original game, closely replicating its early segments as you wake up at the bottom of a waterfall and meet Diego, who shows you the ropes. Made in Unreal Engine 5, the remake boasts some nice lighting, fog effects, and a cold colour palette befitting of the gritty world you find yourself in. I’d describe the art style as ‘no-nonsense,’ and Pollice says this is the intention. “We could have created a very artsy and unique look, but in the end I feel like the topic screams for something realistic.”

And while the visuals are certainly grounded, even I was overcome with a wave of nostalgia when I soaked in the view from the cliffsides down over the valley, where the mist-shrouded Old Camp was visible in the distance. I’m pretty sure I heard Jason gasp audibly.

But Gothic was never really a game about graphical prowess, and was always defined far more by the storytelling, the factions, and the robust AI. Pollice emphasises that the story will very much remain the same, as will the areas you can visit, barring the occasional extra cave or other bits off to the side. Instead, it’s more about what’s already there becoming more detailed. “Some areas are just bigger and filled with more detail and more depth to give the world more soul and character,” Pollice tells us. “In general our world is about 20% bigger than in the original, and we use this space not to add to completely new stuff but to give more character, more depth, more detail and make a more believable world.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gothic Remake (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - "Sneak Peak" article from DualShockers