AMD Keynote from CES 2020

Mr.Vic20

Come now, let's embrace this new year with a touch of optimism! AMD had pulled roughly even with Intel on CPUs, from a gaming perspective, and will likely pull ahead this year! That just leaves GPUs for them to catch up on and I think they know they need! I feel likely if not 2020, 2021 might be AMDs year to either catch up or directly compete again. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Come now, let's embrace this new year with a touch of optimism! AMD had pulled roughly even with Intel on CPUs, from a gaming perspective, and will likely pull ahead this year! That just leaves GPUs for them to catch up on and I think they know they need! I feel likely if not 2020, 2021 might be AMDs year to either catch up or directly compete again. 

I’m not sure if AMD has had a truly competitive flagship GPU vs nVidia’s flagship since they dropped the ATi name.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not sure if AMD has had a truly competitive flagship GPU vs nVidia’s flagship since they dropped the ATi name.

They have not, but I can dream, right? A competitive AMD on the high end is always a nice check on Nvidia's corporate scumbagery!  

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So you'd get an AMD GPU?

I would if it beat Nvidia's best! I'm no loyalist to these companies. Even if AMD's best doesn't beat Nvidia's best, its really important for them to produce competitive tech at good prices as it economically effective hardware can also help more the gaming industry forward. 

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Lies. You’re stuck. See: proprietary graphics settings and a need to be able to tick every graphics settings box and max every slider

:p 

I rather imagine AMD will have a full ray tracing solution before the end of this year, so hopefully that particular box will get checked shortly. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I rather imagine AMD will have a full ray tracing solution before the end of this year, so hopefully that particular box will get checked shortly. 

But they aren't going to pay devs to use their solution. How many games used Hair Works? Now, how many used TressFX? :talkhand:

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

But they aren't going to pay devs to use their solution. How many games used Hair Works? Now, how many used TressFX? :talkhand:

You got me there! :lol: But really, raytracing will be part of the normal rendering suite in 3 years time, so AMD will finds a  way. Speaking of which, I reloaded the witcher 3, as so many have recently, and found to my surprise that i could max out Hairworks without and frame rate issues! It only took 4 years! :sun: 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You got me there! :lol: But really, raytracing will be part of the normal rendering suite in 3 years time, so AMD will finds a  way. Speaking of which, I reloaded the witcher 3, as so many have recently, and found to my surprise that i could max out Hairworks without and frame rate issues! It only took 4 years! :sun: 

I think Matrox is poised for a comeback and will save us. :p 

33 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I didn’t watch, but the lack of posts make me think it was just AMD execs sitting on a stage yelling “PEE CEE GAMING” over and over for an hour and only showing some indy games and winking at the camera every 3.5 minutes.

Basically the time breakdown went like this:

50% - Hey guys, how cool is it that we are kicking intel's ass in CPU sales? We like it too! A whole lot in fact, so we plan to keep doing that! 

25% - APUs and laptop CPUs, we got new ones! Check out some cool laptops! 

10% - GPUs? Oh, you like em cheap, right?! Yeah we got some new, cheap, solidly performing 1080P kit for you! (RX 5600 XT)

14% - something about the benefits of AMD making both CPUs and GPUs, and how this "synergy" allows for something called "Smartshift", that helps get 10% more performance out of laptops without killing the battery.

1% - 3990X <- look at how much Photoshop you can crunch with 64 cores!!!! and its only $3,990! 

The laptops are a big deal from a revenue perspective because they're finally getting market penetration with Zen 2 cores. These are performing really well and are extremely efficient. They didn't talk about Zen 3 which will be 2nd half of this year which will be an entirely "from scratch" design. This should further pressure Intel across the board on the CPU side.

As for a big GPU, yeah I'm disappointed but not surprised. I would say we won't see AMD competitive on the high end with Nvidia until 2022. GPU development cycles tend to be a 3 year thing and I don't think Radeon has experienced the benefits of the Zen $$ yet. 

Just now, HalfJoey said:

I’m torn at what to do. 
Do I build a new system in March for Cyberpunk and maybe get a mid-end GPU

or wait and build a high end system in July when everything new comes out. 

July, unless you just can't wait to play Cyberpunk! It, like most games these days, will require a month of patching before it hums along and even then will likely sorely test even the absolute best hardware out there at 1440P and above. I can't wait for CP, but damn I wish the new cards we dropping prior to its launch! 

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

July, unless you just can't wait to play Cyberpunk! It, like most games these days, will require a month of patching before it hums along and even then will likely sorely test even the absolute best hardware out there at 1440P and above. I can't wait for CP, but damn I wish the new cards we dropping prior to its launch! 

I think I’ve settled on July too. AMD Zen3 + Nvidia Ampere seem too close to not wait for. I was thinking Intel 10700k whenever it’s released but don’t like the idea of Zen3 coming out a few months later. 

I’m aiming for 1440p. 

I guess I’ll get caught up on my console backlog.