JK Rowling getting cancelled over “TERF-y” twitter comment

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Drop the southern accent or aave in the corporate world to come across as more intelligent. Then with friends and family you use your "normal" accent. After some time, you may end up changing your "normal" accent to the normal corporate one. Switching between accents/dialects depending on your audience is code switching, and is quite common

I'm petty sure that's not what happened with the situation I mentioned. Even still, it doesn't make sense to adopt another country's accent. You'd probably just drop your southern accent and speak in a more neutral tone. That, I've seen. 

I almost asked her what part of Britain she was from. That would have been awkward. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm petty sure that's not what happened with the situation I mentioned. Even still, it doesn't make sense to adopt another country's accent. You'd probably just drop your southern accent and speak in a more neutral tone. That, I've seen. 

I almost asked her what part of Britain she was from. That would have been awkward. 

That I agree with. 

20 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Drop the southern accent or aave in the corporate world to come across as more intelligent. Then with friends and family you use your "normal" accent. After some time, you may end up changing your "normal" accent to the normal corporate one. Switching between accents/dialects depending on your audience is code switching, and is quite common

Yeah that happens a lot. Was confused because it seemed like you were saying Madonna and the girl in Cnut's anecdotes were code switching as you're describing which I don't know is true or not. 

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Without re-reading this thread are any upcoming movies with her cancelled? I seriously doubt it.

Getting “cancelled” is just a thing the kids say when you get publicly shamed for something you said/did :p

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Didn't she once donate herself out of her billionaire status?

At least she just wrote super popular books to get rich instead of inheriting it and screwing over countless people in the process. 

She's the closest thing there is to a self made, good billionaire*

On 12/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Saying you don't know who she is is like saying you don't know who George Lucas is. I didn't watch Star Wars until my mid 20s and I still was well aware of the guy all my life. 

Being outraged all the time can get really exhausting. There's so much to be angry about, I have to try to put things in perspective. 

He's just trying to be extra..of course he knows who she is in general.  She's the woman who cribbed a lot of stuff from Diana Wynne Jones....lol