Apparently "The Touryst" on the Switch is fantastic?

Xbob42

Digital Foundry seems to think so. I saw this game literally 2 days ago on the store and thought it looked vaguely interesting but a little too much like your typical mobile-inspired voxel game. A few seconds of footage from this video (I have not watched it further than that) were enough to convince me to give the game a shot.

Well, I 100% completed this game last night. So I enjoyed it enough to beat it, but GOTY contender seems like an insane stretch. It's a fun little puzzle/adventure game with some light Metroidvania elements. The different islands all have fun little gimmicks and the game controls really well, including the fake arcade games, one of which is probably the smoothest controlling game-in-a-game I've ever played.

That said, in terms of gameplay, there's really nothing mindblowing here. The translation is a little rough in spots (the developers are German) so that can create some awkward sentences on occasion. I think because I played it for so long in one sitting I had a dream about it when I went to bed where one part of the ending changed and unlocked another section of the game and the entire game up until that point was just "world 1" which in my dream was amazing, but in the real game, that was the end.

If you're looking for a gameplay description: You can run, jump, get a few upgrades for those, and occasionally get upgrades that allow you to do more than that, but never anything really complex. There's no combat, although there's the occasional "boss" fight that's more like a puzzle that's trying to fight against you solving it, which is kinda neat.

I kept hoping it would jump off the deep end like end-game Fez or something, for some crazy new stuff to open up, but that never happened. It's a very solid and unexpectedly fun little game, but I think the DF guys were a little too enamored with the performance. It absolutely runs buttery smooth and has virtually no load times, it frankly shits all over Link's Awakening in many ways while looking less like a blurry mess, but that doesn't make the game itself amazing.