House of the Dragon (HBO, August 21) - update: first reviews posted

fuckle85

If they wanted to keep the same actresses, they would’ve aged down D’Arcy and Cooke for those early episodes anyway, not significantly aged up the younger actors for multiple seasons. 

On a somewhat related note, as a thought exercise: could this season have worked if they started in the “present” with the king dying in episode 1 or 2, then filling in the backstory as needed with some flashbacks? I’m not saying a full 8 episodes worth of flashbacks. I just feel like so much of these shows is exposition anyway, we probably could have just started here, with the actors we have now, and going back occasionally to fill in some gaps. 

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

On a somewhat related note, as a thought exercise: could this season have worked if they started in the “present” with the king dying in episode 1 or 2, then filling in the backstory as needed with some flashbacks? I’m not saying a full 8 episodes worth of flashbacks. I just feel like so much of these shows is exposition anyway, we probably could have just started here, with the actors we have now, and going back occasionally to fill in some gaps. 

It's not too dissimilar from season 1 of Game of Thrones, which similarly set up a lot of pieces and felt like a prologue season for everything that followed. This felt that way to me, including a big death at the end of episode 8 (basically, episode 9 was always the episode where shit went down in GOT, usually). I agree though this felt like a lot of exposition and set up for future seasons, but necessary. I'm not a big fan of in medias res openings, so I'm glad they didn't reveal where things were going from the beginning.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's not too dissimilar from season 1 of Game of Thrones, which similarly set up a lot of pieces and felt like a prologue season for everything that followed. This felt that way to me, including a big death at the end of episode 8 (basically, episode 9 was always the episode where shit went down in GOT, usually). I agree though this felt like a lot of exposition and set up for future seasons, but necessary. I'm not a big fan of in medias res openings, so I'm glad they didn't reveal where things were going from the beginning.

Sure, there was a ton of world building and setup in the first season of GoT, but it felt way more organic. We enter the world at a specific point in time, and we more or less just follow these character's lives. You learn about these people and the world they inhabit by following along on their journeys and seeing how they interact with each other. There's definitely some of that in this show, but I (a dummy, admittedly) had a really hard tracking these characters and their journeys through the middle chunk of this season due to its structure. 

I typed out and deleted a bunch of examples and complaints, but it was largely incoherent and mostly moot anyway, since it seems like basically every issue I had with this season won't be a problem going forward. :p 

• True 1

Just now, TheLeon said:

Sure, there was a ton of world building and setup in the first season of GoT, but it felt way more organic. We enter the world at a specific point in time, and we more or less just follow these character's lives. You learn about these people and the world they inhabit by following along on their journeys and seeing how they interact with each other. There's definitely some of that in this show, but I (a dummy, admittedly) had a really hard tracking these characters and their journeys through the middle chunk of this season due to its structure. 

I typed out and deleted a bunch of examples and complaints, but it was largely incoherent and mostly moot anyway, since it seems like basically every issue I had with this season won't be a problem going forward. :p 

I'll definitely agree - that's mostly because Game of Thrones is an excellent book series, and Fire & Blood isn't per se a narrative, but the show is bound to it nonetheless, hence being way less organic. All your points make sense.

13 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

It's not that she's in any way bad, i just prefer the original actress. There was no need for the change. It doesn't just look like another character, it feels like one. Either way, the swap is the least of my problems with the show. The unlikeable cast of characters is what sealed it for me.

there was definitely need for a change. you seriously think young rhaenyra raising teenagers wouldn’t have looked really fucking weird? lol