A Knight's Quest | Official Gameplay Trailer

Pikachu

Dispatching enemies with a stylish thrust of the sword, rail-grinding across huge chasms high above tumbling waterfalls, wall-running over perilous traps or solving puzzles by controlling the elements – it’s all in a day’s work for Rusty, videogaming’s newest hero who’ll be making his debut in A Knight’s Quest, an epic adventure heading to PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch this Fall. 

Daring, debonair, and just a little bit daft, Rusty is a kind-hearted, but clumsy adventurer who accidentally starts a chain of events which threaten to destroy his world. In order to right his wrong, he’ll need to solve mind-bending conundrums, fight challenging enemies, defeat huge bosses and platform his way through a fantastic open world in this lavish take on classic action adventure games.

Funny, fresh and genuinely breathtaking, it’s a thoroughly modern take on classic adventures of old, as players will discover when it bursts onto PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch this Fall, priced £19.99 / €24.99 / $24.99.

It's like my ideal type of game until I watch the trailer and see how low budget it is. I dunno what it is about so many indie developers of 3D titles, but they never seem to get the movement or animations of the main character down. It always looks so slide-y and odd, like they made a run cycle animation and then just arbitrarily decided a run speed. The camera always feels like it's placed just a little off, with the character not taking up the "right" amount of space on-screen. Animations are always SUPER slow for some reason, which makes all combat feel completely weightless and fake.

It's a lot of little nit-picky things, but they add up to give every game like this a super cheap feel. I had the same problem even with more liked titles like A Hat in Time, although I think something like Oceanhorn is a perfect example. Care and mastery in at least the main character's actions should be a top priority, I think!

I'd put it down to budget, but there's also a few small developers who get it right. The movement and animations in A Short Hike are spot on. Bloodstained isn't quite all the way there but it feels good enough, Risk of Rain 2 is mostly fine, Anodyne 2 feels great, etc. I feel like the lack of polish on the character you play as the entire game, at least in my head, reflects poorly on the product as a whole. Just get a few great animations! Make them snappy and fast! Outsource if you have to! Get a run cycle that looks and feels good, with good momentum and such on your jump!

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

It's like my ideal type of game until I watch the trailer and see how low budget it is. I dunno what it is about so many indie developers of 3D titles, but they never seem to get the movement or animations of the main character down. It always looks so slide-y and odd, like they made a run cycle animation and then just arbitrarily decided a run speed. The camera always feels like it's placed just a little off, with the character not taking up the "right" amount of space on-screen. Animations are always SUPER slow for some reason, which makes all combat feel completely weightless and fake.

It's a lot of little nit-picky things, but they add up to give every game like this a super cheap feel. I had the same problem even with more liked titles like A Hat in Time, although I think something like Oceanhorn is a perfect example. Care and mastery in at least the main character's actions should be a top priority, I think!

I'd put it down to budget, but there's also a few small developers who get it right. The movement and animations in A Short Hike are spot on. Bloodstained isn't quite all the way there but it feels good enough, Risk of Rain 2 is mostly fine, Anodyne 2 feels great, etc. I feel like the lack of polish on the character you play as the entire game, at least in my head, reflects poorly on the product as a whole. Just get a few great animations! Make them snappy and fast! Outsource if you have to! Get a run cycle that looks and feels good, with good momentum and such on your jump!

I'm playing through Hat in Time now.  I think main character animations are actually great, and not slow at all.  To me, the game sacrifices complex/convoluted movement for fluidity and playful platforming.  But its not so autopilot that it takes away your agency, or potential to make mistakes.  I don't want every platformer to try what it does, but it matches the tone of the game pretty well.  Its fun to move around.

I'm finding the real issue is when the fluidity breaks.  The camera just doesn't know what to do with itself when you can't run up a wall completely.  There's some really awful corridor sections when the camera pulls really low and close.  It's so stupid that I have to use a button to look up because the camera doesn't like me tilting it vertically.

And when you do get those precision jumping sections, like on tightwires, it feels totally at the mercy of the auto-snapping.  Whoever designed the Bird Boss stage really screwed up.  You can't see much perspective with tighwires hanging over a black empty pit.  Just leap into abyss and hope that you snap on.  Kind of reminds me of Chamelleon Twist: