August jobs report disappoints, would have been worse if not for census hires

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/jobs-report-called-meh-as-hiring-slows-2019-09-06

MW-HQ814_payrol_20190906085617_MG.jpg?uu

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/economy/jobs-report-august/index.html

The economy has gained jobs for 107 consecutive months, but the pace of hiring has slowed recently. The United States has added a monthly average of 158,000 jobs this year, compared to 223,000 in 2018.

"It may in part be due to the difficulty in finding workers with the right skill sets given unemployment remains just 3.7%," said James Knightley, chief international economist at ING. "However, given creeping caution about the international backdrop and uncertainty on trade, firms may be increasingly cautious about hiring too."

The escalating trade war between the United States and China has injected hiring uncertainty in sectors feeling the effects of tariffs, such as manufacturing.

Only 3,000 jobs were added in that sector last month, below expectations--half this year's average of 6,000 and less than a quarter compared with the July figure. In 2018, manufacturing job growth averaged 22,000 per month.

The US manufacturing sector contracted for the first time in three years in August, according to the Institute of Supply Management.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/06/the-jobs-report-would-have-been-much-worse-without-census-workers.html

The federal government hired 25,000 temporary workers in August in preparation for the 2020 Census, giving the overall jobs gain a big bump.

Private-sector employment was up by only 96,000, the lowest pace since February.

The retail sector saw a net decline in workers of 11,100 in August alone. Trade, transportation and utilities also lost 11,000 jobs.

20190906%20Job%20growth%20slowdown%20jws

Silver lining:

The overall labor market is still in good shape. The unemployment rate stayed at 3.7% as expected, and wage growth remained strong, with average hourly earnings increasing by 0.4% for the month and 3.2% over the year.

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Looking forward to that bubble bursting as we trend to towards end of the boomers and we don’t need as many medical practitioners. 

People with $600k in student loans and a medical license working at McDonalds for minimum wage. 

It'll be more of a fizzle than a pop

I’m also pretty sure the majority of the healthcare jobs aren’t going to doctors. I know tons of people doing 2 year medical programs at community colleges because they get out and can make $70k a year from a program that cost them less than $15k to complete. I would guess most of the growth is there and other support staff, like hospital administration jobs (HR, billing, etc.).

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m also pretty sure the majority of the healthcare jobs aren’t going to doctors. I know tons of people doing 2 year medical programs at community colleges because they get out and can make $70k a year from a program that cost them less than $15k to complete. I would guess most of the growth is there and other support staff, like hospital administration jobs (HR, billing, etc.).

Home health aide and personal care assistant are the fastest growing jobs in the country, and they pay dog shit for what is done.

Administration can get the :guillotine:though

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Home health aide and personal care assistant are the fastest growing jobs in the country, and they pay dog shit for what is done.

Administration can get the :guillotine:though

Oh yeah, those are brutal jobs and often barely above minimum wage.