Study: AIDS drugs prevent sexual transmission of HIV in gay men

14 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

A double edged win. It's a blessing because people can lead a relatively normal and do things they may have previously lost access to because of their medical condition. It's a curse because the chance of human irresponsibility is large enough that I would continue advise against unprotected sex with gay men and/or sex workers without recent (within 30 days) std tests.

Still, despite my reticence, I hope we get to the point where we can actually cure HIV/AIDS.

I've seen a lot of articles about the uptick in STDs in recent years, including things like Super Gonorrhea that are becoming resistant to all know antibiotics. So it seems like once Aids stopped an automatic death sentence, people just stopped using condoms feeling the worst that can happen is some minor inconvenience some pills will clear up. So I would be worried that this will continue that trend of people having a false sense of security just because Aids isn't a slow agonizing death sentence anymore. 

While it might not kill you, you probably don't want a case of the super drips that is resistant to all forms of antibiotics. 

53 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I've seen a lot of articles about the uptick in STDs in recent years, including things like Super Gonorrhea that are becoming resistant to all know antibiotics. So it seems like once Aids stopped an automatic death sentence, people just stopped using condoms feeling the worst that can happen is some minor inconvenience some pills will clear up. So I would be worried that this will continue that trend of people having a false sense of security just because Aids isn't a slow agonizing death sentence anymore. 

While it might not kill you, you probably don't want a case of the super drips that is resistant to all forms of antibiotics. 

Women have long term birth control now so don't worry about getting pregnant and require fewer visits to the doctor since you don't need to get more, and gays have HIV inhibitors to prevent the transmission of HIV.  No one is thinking AIDS won't kill me so don't need the rubber, if anything they're not thinking anything at all, lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Women have long term birth control now so don't worry about getting pregnant and require fewer visits to since you don't need to get more, and gays have HIV inhibitors to prevent the transmission of HIV.  No one is thinking AIDS won't kill me so don't need the rubber, if anything they're not thinking anything at all, lol.

People don't think anything anymore because there is no super disease that's coming to give you a slow, agonizing death. I'm just old enough to remember the end of the times when Aids was coming to kill you, and it was a massive focus in the media. I know when I first became sexually active, I was paranoid to have sex without a condom. Didn't want any pregnancy scares and didn't want any diseases. If you're under 30, you didn't experience any part of the Aids epidemic in the media.

So yeah, Aids isn't coming to kill you anymore, and now women can get an implant that lasts 5 years and not even think about it has lead to people having a false sense of security. STD's are on the rise. My opinion is that yeah, now that you don't have to worry about some super STD coming to kill you or even really worry about birth control, people have a false sense of security and figure they don't need condoms anymore. All I'm saying is you still gotta be careful out there, because you definitely don't want the incurable drips.