Possibility Space shuts down and lays off all staff, CEO blames media leaks

WWW.ENGADGET.COM

Possibility Space, an independent game studio with employees distributed across the globe, was abruptly shut down today.

You might know this as the game studio Austin Walker left Waypoint for.  A lot of the former employees are posting on the site that shall not be named if you want more information, but the reason the owner is giving is essentially that a Kotaku reporter reached out with questions regarding the game Possibility Space was working on.  Some of these details involved publishing and finance info, so the publisher “lost faith” in financing the project, so the game was canceled and the studio closed.  

Who knows, lots of things are possible, but in a world where details leak to the press all the time, this seems like an insane overreaction.  It’s not like a build got out, and the article in question about the game hasn’t even been published.  The same umbrella company shuttered Crop Circle Games a few weeks ago after first furloughing people and then letting them know their jobs didn’t exist anymore immediately after GDC.

It seems like awfully convenient timing to completely shutter two studios in as many months and to have it somehow be the studio’s fault and the fault of the internet’s favorite website whipping boy as opposed to poor choices from the parent company in any way.  

• Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Statements from the now-unemployed:

oPswqzZ.jpeg

FFJOtVs.jpeg

Siknh9Y.jpeg

I don’t mean to be callous as my sympathies are absolutely with the people who got laid off here but if any CEO says “layoffs are immoral” that’s a red flag that is itself waving several other huge red flags.

This seems like a clusterfuck from top to bottom.

I know people have some opinions about Kotaku, but I find it hard to believe that they would be writing anything in any detail about the conditions or circumstances of her medical issues, and it seems like a wild leap to make.