Helldivers 2 already estimated to have sold 8 million copies

SaysWho?

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

On Steam, the cooperative third-person shooter hit a peak of more than 450,000 concurrent players

While the much-hyped Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League from Warner Bros Discovery Inc.’s gaming division bombed even harder than the films that preceded it, the little-known Helldivers 2, published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, is on track to be one of the year’s biggest games.

To date, neither has revealed sales numbers, but on Steam, Helldivers 2 hit a peak of more than 450,000 concurrent players, while Suicide Squad’s all-time high is less than 13,500, per SteamDB.

TD Cowen analyst Doug Creutz estimated that Helldivers 2 has sold more than 8 million copies, and most remarkably, the numbers are growing every week. “We believe the game has performed well ahead of expectations,” Creutz wrote in a note Thursday.

The main takeaway here may be that nobody knows what will hit. I enjoyed the first Helldivers when it came out in 2015, but part of the appeal was that it was an unusual genre — a twin-stick, top-down shooter with clunky but endearing controls. When I saw the premiere of Helldivers 2 last year, I thought it looked like another generic clone of Gears of War and that it would be dead on arrival.