Liberals and New Democrats reach a deal on pharmacare (single payer)

WWW.CBC.CA

The federal Liberal government and the NDP have come to an agreement on pharmacare, clearing the way for the two parties to continue operating under the confidence-and-supply agreement that has helped keep the government in power over the last two years.

Singh said the legislation "clearly points to [a] single payer" system and includes references to the Canada Health Act, the federal legislation that sets out the terms under which the federal government agrees to fund medicare services in Canada.

• Hype 1

47 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

How's this look for rare disease drugs?

I assume as long as the drug is approved to treat a condition, then it would be covered (but we won't know the details for a long time, I imagine). Expensive rare drugs are already typically covered under special support programs. My wife, for example, had two courses of Lemtrada for her MS back in 2017/2018. Each one was around $250,000 for the week. At the time, our province required she attempt to use her private plan through work first, and then the government would cover any amount after since it was so expensive (or the entire amount, if none was covered). There are obviously drugs that cost more than that...but $500,000 would have ruined her life.