Disney and Sony ink major deal

THEDIGITALBITS.COM

EXCLUSIVE: Disney & Sony Ink Deal for Sony to Take Over Disney’s Physical Media Production, Disney Movie Club to Shut Down as a Result

Disney and Sony have just inked a major deal for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to take over all of Disney’s physical media production going forward.

This means that Sony will handle and oversee the actual authoring and compression of discs, that they’ll work with the replicators and packaging vendors, and that they’ll oversee the titles as they go out to the distributors and on to retailers.

I first received word of this deal about two weeks ago, apparently within twenty-four hours of the ink drying, and I’ve now confirmed it with multiple independent sources within the industry—people that I trust and have known and worked with for many years.

This deal makes sense for Disney for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that Sony is far more efficient and cost effective at producing their discs, whereas Disney’s physical media operation has been subject to no small amount of internal/organizational turmoil recently.

• Shocked 1

I don’t know what to think of this news. The big reason is because I can still get my Marvel’s 3D films from Japan. Will be getting The Marvels when I have money next month for its release. So this seems like it’s international rights, but I think Marvel still has a little say in the release. I hope that this deal doesn’t screw what might be the final nail in the 3D collectors coffin. 

the only benefit I see to them taking over, is that they might finally fix the neutering that Disney did to their Atmos/DTS:X or any track for their recent movies releases. So here’s hoping that I get at least THAT out of the deal, but gain, I worry for my Marvel 3D releases. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

@silentbob I miss having a 3D TV, but unfortunately, I probably won't have one again for a long time. The TV I couldn't keep when I moved was 3D, which I really enjoyed, and I even had fun with 3D pinball on PSN.

I wish you luck in one day reuniting with a 3D screen of some sort. Thankfully projectors are still (mostly) including 3d playback. Can’t wait to update to a laser JVC 3D projector one day

• Hugs 1

This is seriously tremendous news on the physical media front. For years, us collectors have been lambasting Disney for hoarding their massive catalog of films, all without new or even updated formats of favorite & iconic films & shows. This will help in that tremendously & we could be eating GOOD the next few years then. Between this, and WB recently showing sincere interest in broadening their scope & catalog of vault films being put onto physical media. I am actually wicked giddy about this ... just sucks it all lead off with the canceling of their Movie Club which had been going for 23 years.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Probably doesn't bode well for physical media if Disney doesn't think it's worthwhile to run their own operation.

I feel like this puts a clock on how long Disney even bothers releasing physical versions of their content.

this could actually be a good thing. Disney has been the worst physical media distributor for a while now. Some of the worst 4k discs of the last 5 years come from them. It got to the point where i stopped buying them. If Sony can improve things I’d be happy to buy the new stuff, and hopefully we can get some 4K releases of some of those Fox titles they’ve been clutching onto. 

if sony doesn’t show improvement on disneys and physical media sales then yeah it’s not good but it was already bad anyway. 

• True 3

Sony has the best tech to put on their discs, alongside utilization of Dolby Vision & Atmos, as well as the potential for IMAX integration. Granted, we'll see a litany of re-releases of films on even the highest formats, but they'll truly be THE best version of those films on physical media, no doubt about it.