Star Wars: The Bad Batch (Disney+) - third and final season to debut on 21 February 2024

2 hours ago, 69los said:

Definitely wasn't the ending I was expecting.

Hide contents

I was leaning towards the gloom side; at least 1 or 2 deaths to the squad. Omega will definitely be appearing again.

Same here. I was not expecting the ending we got. 

They really cranked up the "fatal violence" for the series finale, didn't they?

Even though there were a few wheel spinning/water treading episodes this season, they in no way diminished what was overall a really damned solid final season and fantastic finale to what I consider to be easily one of the Top 10 works of Star Wars visual media (films/shows/games).  I genuinely came to actually care about these characters and will certainly miss experiencing their adventures in a galaxy far, far away!

Absolutely adored the finale - while Filoni has certainly struggled with consistent quality in the live action shows (Ahsoka is not holding up well for me on a repeat viewing, even as a "Rebels Season Five" fan service exercise), his work on the animated side remains absolutely stellar.  

I feel like we could easily have arived at the show's ending via derivative and ham-fisted tropes that belied the sense of struggle that's permeated the last couple seasons, resulting in something that felt hollow and contrived, and jarringly saccharine sweet.  To reach that ending in a way that felt entirely earned and "believable" - kudos to Filoni and his team.  A wonderful effort that absolutely nailed the landing.

I really hope that we continue to see more from Filoni on the animated side, and while he's doing a wonderful job of fleshing out the SW universe in the post-RotS/pre-ANH era, I'd love seeing him tackle something from an entirely new time period, where he could apply his world-building in a way less bound to/by existing canon.

One question - is Operation Stardust something that's been referenced in any SW media outside Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books?  I loved that little Easter Egg, but I'm only familiar with it from the Thrawn books - I can't recall it being directly referenced in any other shows/movies.

8 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

One question - is Operation Stardust something that's been referenced in any SW media outside Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books?  I loved that little Easter Egg, but I'm only familiar with it from the Thrawn books - I can't recall it being directly referenced in any other shows/movies.

It's first referenced in Rogue One.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

Absolutely adored the finale - while Filoni has certainly struggled with consistent quality in the live action shows (Ahsoka is not holding up well for me on a repeat viewing, even as a "Rebels Season Five" fan service exercise), his work on the animated side remains absolutely stellar.  

This finale was actually the perfect example of this. If you look at the script (or just pay attention to the dialogue), it's pretty sparse. If this were in live action shot for shot, line for line, it would be similar to how Ahsoka didn't hold up. I don't know why that is, but Bad Batch's quality is just better. 

Filoni is better suited for the animated world as a writer and a big picture guy in live action.