Supreme Court leaves Illinois assault weapons ban in place

Jason

10 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Good. The only way for us to have an actual functioning society is to get rid of guns. 

We can’t have a country where just going to the mall, school, or a movie comes with a chance of dying in a rain of bullets. 

Guns aren’t freedom. They take away our freedom. 

Yeah but I wonder what steaming turd of a decision they're trying to use this to preemptively distract us from. That was a hallmark of the Roberts court while it was 5-4.

11 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Good. The only way for us to have an actual functioning society is to get rid of guns. 

We can’t have a country where just going to the mall, school, or a movie comes with a chance of dying in a rain of bullets. 

Guns aren’t freedom. They take away our freedom. 

Welcome to America the dysfunctional, going strong since 1776.

I find it’s always easier to understand this issue when you think about the urban/rural divide.  When you consider what life is like for someone living in a rural area, especially a farmer or frontiersman with a lot of land, gun ownership isn’t as crazy as it seems than when you have a ton of people packed into a dense urban area.  (They’re especially useful for creating your own food supply via hunting when the general store is a bazillion miles away, for example.)

The American frontier and its agrarian milieu is what largely shaped our early and most fundamental political institutions, and we have so much land that a lot of people still live in rural areas with dispersed populations.  So it’s not entirely incomprehensible that we still have gun ownership rights written into our constitution, and are divided on whether they should stay there.

If we survive for long enough, and become urbanized and dense enough, I think we may get to the point where we eventually repeal or at least neuter the Second Amendment.  Until then I’m hoping we can at least uphold a localist status quo—where rural and urban jurisdictions are given leeway to set their own gun control policies—in the face of a conservative Supreme Court and a legislative system that grows more rurally-biased every election cycle.

• Like 1