Hazbin Hotel Season 1 trailer.

• 4 months later...

Some of my buddies got really into this and recommended it, but I find myself bouncing off it pretty hard. I’m generally an easy sell for animation, especially adult animation, musicals, and high concept shows of all kinds, but something about this one just isn’t working for me. I even grew up in the church, so I’m a sucker for biblical references (like you find in Good Omens) but from what I’ve seen this doesn’t do anything fun with that material.The design work I find inconsistent and off putting, and I really can’t get into the songs. The animation is pretty poor, reminding me more of old flash animations more than anything. I’m having a hard time figuring it out exactly, but something about this show makes me feel like I’m just a bit older than the target audience. 

It certainly seems that this show has found a following, but I will not count myself among them.

How about you all? Are you enjoying this more than I am?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Some of my buddies got really into this and recommended it, but I find myself bouncing off it pretty hard. I’m generally an easy sell for animation, especially adult animation, musicals, and high concept shows of all kinds, but something about this one just isn’t working for me. I even grew up in the church, so I’m a sucker for biblical references (like you find in Good Omens) but from what I’ve seen this doesn’t do anything fun with that material.The design work I find inconsistent and off putting, and I really can’t get into the songs. The animation is pretty poor, reminding me more of old flash animations more than anything. I’m having a hard time figuring it out exactly, but something about this show makes me feel like I’m just a bit older than the target audience. 

It certainly seems that this show has found a following, but I will not count myself among them.

How about you all? Are you enjoying this more than I am?

Nah, you're not alone there. It didn't click for me either. I'm all for immature and foul comedy, but this one didn't land for me. This is the second series by Vivienne Medrano that kind of fell flat for me. I gave her previous work, Helluva Boss, more of a chance than Hazbin Hotel. I think I watched like 4 or 5 episodes of that one before I checked out. Hazbin Hotel is very much playing to her fans, so I can't fault her there.

I also bounced off after about 1.5 episodes. I gave it a try since it had positive buzz, and I thought the song was pretty neat but the style of dialogue just wasn't doing it for me.