A24 - 'Zone of Interest' - December 15th

SoberChef

The Zone of Interest is a 2023 historical drama film written and directed by Jonathan Glazer, loosely based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Martin Amis. A co-production between the United States, the United Kingdom, and Poland, the film centers on Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Höss and his wife as they strive to build a dream life next to the concentration camp.[3] It stars Christian Friedel and Sandra Hüller in the lead roles.

I’m very interested in this, it’s being cited as one of the best movies of the year, but I’m a little apprehensive that it might be too much of an Art Film for my personal taste. We'll see. 

Sandra Hüller is having a big year between this and Anatomy of a Fall. That movie was great, and she fantastic in it. 

• 1 month later...

Saw this the other night. It’s a film to be “admired” more than “enjoyed”. There were some really interesting choices made that I thought were effective, but I can’t say I’m a big fan of the movie overall. I get it, it’s chilling to watch these people act so casually while unfathomable horrors are happening just over the fence. I got that from the trailer. Give me something else to latch onto, please. 

I was right in my earlier prediction that it’s too much of a capital-a “Art” film for me, the kind of thing I have a really hard time connecting to. But hey, not every movie is made for me, that’s fine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Saw this the other night. It’s a film to be “admired” more than “enjoyed”. There were some really interesting choices made that I thought were effective, but I can’t say I’m a big fan of the movie overall. I get it, it’s chilling to watch these people act so casually while unfathomable horrors are happening just over the fence. I got that from the trailer. Give me something else to latch onto, please. 

I was right in my earlier prediction that it’s too much of a capital-a “Art” film for me, the kind of thing I have a really hard time connecting to. But hey, not every movie is made for me, that’s fine. 

I mean, it is by the guy who did Sexy Beast, Birth and Under the Skin. :p That being said, I hope to check this out soon.

There's much to admire about Zone of Interest, but I also found it difficult to connect to. It's a lot of terrible people being mostly normal, but honestly the whole impact of the film felt like it was made relatively early on, and the film does little to compound or build on it as it goes. It doesn't so much hit a crescendo as play the same note over and over again. It's a fine entry if you want to meditate on the banality of evil, but it doesn't really go beyond that.