Gamers Nexus takes Linus Tech Tips out back to the woodshed regarding data accuracy, conflicts of interest, etc.

Without knowing full context to this, it almost seems like the natural path of how YouTube and these sites reward content producers. What start off as informative and well meaning channels turn into hyperbolic exaggerations hocking bullshit products. They have to make more and more attention grabbing content at a certain pace lest they get sent to the bottom of the algorithm, and it just seems to lead to some really bad stuff. 

I have noticed it with fitness influencers as well. 

48 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Without knowing full context to this, it almost seems like the natural path of how YouTube and these sites reward content producers. What start off as informative and well meaning channels turn into hyperbolic exaggerations hocking bullshit products. They have to make more and more attention grabbing content at a certain pace lest they get sent to the bottom of the algorithm, and it just seems to lead to some really bad stuff. 

I have noticed it with fitness influencers as well. 

You're not wrong but I think it's driven by greed. There are examples of successful channels that haven't had to resort to that nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

You're not wrong but I think it's driven by greed. There are examples of successful channels that haven't had to resort to that nonsense.

I think these people spot an opportunity and feel like they have to capitalize. The temptation is understandable. Some of them will outright discuss their process of diversifying into branded shit, because at some point you’re limiting yourself if you just stick to YouTube only as a revenue stream. But if you start multiple businesses, sell health supplements, sell merch, what have you, you can dramatically increase your income.