Lazarus (Adult Swim) - new anime series from Shinichirō Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) and Chad Stahelski (John Wick)

lazarus-logo.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

Shinichirō Watanabe is creating "Lazarus," a new series for Adult Swim.

Adult Swim has greenlit “Lazarus,” a new Toonami series from renowned anime director Shinichirō Watanabe, known for his work helming episodes of “Cowboy Bebop,” “Samurai Champloo” and “Kids on the Slope.”

Produced by Sola Entertainment and animated by Studio MAPPA, “Lazarus” also recruits the contributions of “John Wick” series director Chad Stahelski, who designed several action sequences for the series, along with the musical talents of saxophonist Kamasi Washington; producer, DJ and musician Floating Points; and producer, DJ and musician Bonobo. The trio will provide a jazz and electronic score for the project.

Watanabe will pull the curtain back on the series at the Adult Swim Festival in San Diego on Saturday at 5:15 p.m., as part of the Comic-Con event Toonami on the Green.

“Lazarus,” which is already in production, takes place in 2052. The series follows a Nobel Prize-winning neuroscientist that develops a drug called Hapuna — a cure-all that has the unexpected side-effect of causing death three years later. A special force of agents is assembled to take on the malevolent Skinner.

• Hype 1

On 7/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Is this based on an existing Manga? Either way I'm all in from the music talent alone.

This is an original story.

Either way, there's a teaser trailer out...

Am I the only one uncomfortable with the idea of this series being about a scientist that creates the greatest vaccine ever, but then it turns out he's basically a bioterrorist and the vaccine will actually kill all humans that took it?

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Am I the only one uncomfortable with the idea of this series being about a scientist that creates the greatest vaccine ever, but then it turns out he's basically a bioterrorist and the vaccine will actually kill all humans that took it?

Now that you mention it...  I wonder if Watanabe is an Anti-Vaxxer.

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Now that you mention it...  I wonder if Watanabe is an Anti-Vaxxer.

The heroes are also looking to create their own vaccine to counter the effects of the first one, so obviously all vaccines aren't bad in this series. Still, it feels out of place in today's climate. I'm sure it'll be good, but I can't help but shake that the premise is exactly the same conspiracy theory that anti-vax nuts have been screaming for the past few years.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That is weird about the vaccine stuff, but its Shinichiro Watanabe, I'm immediately in. You can't really argue with a run like Macross Plus (co-directed), Cowboy Bebo (and the movie), Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope, Terror in Resonance, Space Dandy (2 seasons) and Carole & Tuesday.

He doesn't really miss and his track record in original anime is amazing. The synopsis is just wild.

The year is 2052 - an era of unprecedented peace and prosperity prevails across the globe. The reason for this: mankind has been freed from sickness and pain. Nobel Prize winning neuroscientist Dr. Skinner has developed a miracle cure-all drug with no apparent drawbacks called Hapuna. Hapuna soon becomes ubiquitous… and essential. However, soon after Hapuna is officially introduced, Dr. Skinner vanishes.

Three years later, the world has moved on. But Dr. Skinner has returned - this time, as a harbinger of doom. Skinner announces that Hapuna has a short half-life. Everyone who has taken it will die approximately three years later. Death is coming for this sinful world - and coming soon.

As a response to this threat, a special task force of 5 agents is gathered from across the world to save humanity from Skinner's plan. This group is called "Lazarus." Can they find Skinner and develop a vaccine before time runs out?

It will very likely be good. It's just a weird story to choose in 2023.

• True 1