Anyone snagging an Asus ROG Ally next month?

HardAct

1 minute ago, stepee said:

What are you using for tdp lock is there a recommended tool people are using? I’m usually plugged in but I will want to take it with me sometimes and the profiles are wonk.

It’s in armory crate. You can create a custom setting under Manual. 

• Hype 1

Bottom line I'm keeping it damnit!! Just got a glass screen protector for it and it's really grown on me. I went to the coast to get away from the 100degree heat that was coming and only took the Steam deck. I really missed the ROG Ally while I was in the Hotel room and not splashing around in the ocean. It's really NOT perfect but it hits so many boxes. Somehow double that battery and you really have a great handheld windows PC, I have really high hopes for the ROG Ally 2 now,,,,

• Like 1

I got this ridiculous thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B4SJTXZD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

So I should be able to play it full tilt completely portable now if I want to. I figure who cares if it’s big, it’ll be in a bag anyway it’s not like it’s going in my pocket. I tested and it does 30 watts while plugged in and keeps it charged, draining from the exernal battery. This combined with rokid also lets you play Swirch in docked mode completely portable as well.

Makes me appreciate the performance even more (and I’m plugged in usually anyway) and Cyberpunk is a real showcase on this. FSR performance (this will be 720p native still on rog) and Ultra settings and it’s almost always at 30 or higher. Super impressive we are already here on a handheld. On ultra performance, which on a 7” 1080p screen isn’t as bad as you’d think you can actually play on medium settings with ray tracing GI on medium as well and mostly hold 30.

In reality you’d probably want to set to high and try to lock 40 or something but impressive results.

• Hype 1

Damn that’s a big boi. I looked at 24000 Anker but decided to hold off since I don’t need it at the moment. 

I got my case from Waterfield for the Ally. It’s nice. It’s very similar in design to the switch one so things like 5 slots for memory cards are a bit silly especially since Ally destroys them.

19 minutes ago, Brian said:

Damn that’s a big boi. I looked at 24000 Anker but decided to hold off since I don’t need it at the moment. 

I got my case from Waterfield for the Ally. It’s nice. It’s very similar in design to the switch one so things like 5 slots for memory cards are a bit silly especially since Ally destroys them.

Yeah I think the 24000 anker also does like 75watt or something - that was the thing I realized when looking for an external battery, you want to make sure it can actually put out the 30watt at least so you can play it full blast while plugged in. The anker looked more reasonable in size, didn’t realize exactly how big this was but damn does it do the job power wise lol.

On 7/9/2023 at 4:28 PM, stepee said:

Yeah I think the 24000 anker also does like 75watt or something - that was the thing I realized when looking for an external battery, you want to make sure it can actually put out the 30watt at least so you can play it full blast while plugged in. The anker looked more reasonable in size, didn’t realize exactly how big this was but damn does it do the job power wise lol.

Seems to get pretty warm what playing a taxing game plugged in at 30watts and charging the devise. It does not get uncomfortable to hold though and will charge while playing maxed out.  

I have a this Baseaus 65W / 30000 mAH power brick I bought for the Steam deck. Works great on the ROG Ally too and wasn't a wallet killer at around $70 either! It's kinda bulky and does have some heft to it !

Also handles my wifes Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" tablet and my MSI GS65 STEALTH laptop w/ a i7 & 1070 no problems.

6 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Seems to get pretty warm what playing a taxing game plugged in at 30watts and charging the devise. It does not get uncomfortable to hold though and will charge while playing maxed out.  

I have a this Baseaus 65W / 30000 mAH power brick I bought for the Steam deck. Works great on the ROG Ally too and wasn't a wallet killer at around $70 either! It's kinda bulky and does have some heft to it but nothing like the ones you all are describing....lol

I think mine is like if you put two of that one on top of each other, in size and weight. It’s a beefy baby but as something to keep in my bag it’s not a deal breaker. 

• 3 weeks later...
1_b.jpg
WWW.DIGITIMES.COM

The recently released ROG Ally handheld gaming console from Asustek Computer has garnered popularity and generated estimated quarterly sales of up to NT$10 billion (US$318.6...

Around 450,000 units sold. Not bad. I think this is enough early success to guarantee at least a 2nd revision. Make it OLED with a slightly bigger battery, and a small trackpad and release it in 2024. Thanks 

• Hype 1

6 hours ago, Brian said:
1_b.jpg
WWW.DIGITIMES.COM

The recently released ROG Ally handheld gaming console from Asustek Computer has garnered popularity and generated estimated quarterly sales of up to NT$10 billion (US$318.6...

Around 450,000 units sold. Not bad. I think this is enough early success to guarantee at least a 2nd revision. Make it OLED with a slightly bigger battery, and a small trackpad and release it in 2024. Thanks 

Yes, just a nub is fine!

• 1 month later...

I gotta say I’ve had my sd card in for months now since the update where they adjusted the fan curve and *knock on wood* still going strong. So I’ve been happy with that. BUT.

Check this out boys: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-black-sn770m-2tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-4-x4-m-2-2230/6551144.p?skuId=6551144&ref=212&loc=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD-ORIjAuS0ssiOxdbdzUn7RGQ6RG&gclid=CjwKCAjwsKqoBhBPEiwALrrqiDtKaczLPxZxjYsGWGSxJxAROFjTeqcnYlg2NBcYaRzrPKCfdYgpBBoC660QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comes out Friday. 2tb with faster read speeds and MUCH faster write speeds for $220? Ordered mine! Looking forward to keeping all the modern fighters local, they are getting so big. Now I need to get a caddy so I can do a clone and not reinstall everything. Anyone recommend a good one?

I want to say too that I’ve been really happy with the display as far as color coverage and response time. I’m quite impressed with how nice it looks for a non oled/micro led display without hdr. It’s such a HUGE improvement over Steam deck, like not even close. 

Also @Chris- I know you have a lot of (not so fun) stuff going on but just curious if you had a chance to set it up yet? Curious on your impressions as I believe this is your first handheld pc!

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

I gotta say I’ve had my sd card in for months now since the update where they adjusted the fan curve and *knock on wood* still going strong. So I’ve been happy with that. BUT.

Check this out boys: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-black-sn770m-2tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-4-x4-m-2-2230/6551144.p?skuId=6551144&ref=212&loc=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD-ORIjAuS0ssiOxdbdzUn7RGQ6RG&gclid=CjwKCAjwsKqoBhBPEiwALrrqiDtKaczLPxZxjYsGWGSxJxAROFjTeqcnYlg2NBcYaRzrPKCfdYgpBBoC660QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comes out Friday. 2tb with faster read speeds and MUCH faster write speeds for $220? Ordered mine! Looking forward to keeping all the modern fighters local, they are getting so big. Now I need to get a caddy so I can do a clone and not reinstall everything. Anyone recommend a good one?

I want to say too that I’ve been really happy with the display as far as color coverage and response time. I’m quite impressed with how nice it looks for a non oled/micro led display without hdr. It’s such a HUGE improvement over Steam deck, like not even close. 

Also @Chris- I know you have a lot of (not so fun) stuff going on but just curious if you had a chance to set it up yet? Curious on your impressions as I believe this is your first handheld pc!

I have set it up! Impressions so far are good…Getting it set up was a monumental pain in the ass (the bloatware UI isn’t the best), but it runs games beautifully and feels really good to hold. Game Pass rules and I’m super excited to get into Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush; The Lamplighter League is also on my list once it’s out next month. Thanks again baby love xoxo

• Hype 1

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I have set it up! Impressions so far are good…Getting it set up was a monumental pain in the ass (the bloatware UI isn’t the best), but it runs games beautifully and feels really good to hold. Game Pass rules and I’m super excited to get into Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush; The Lamplighter League is also on my list once it’s out next month. Thanks again baby love xoxo

Yeah the set up is absolutely the worst part of it and the one thing Deck is better at. But I find actual usage once you get beyond that point to be easier to use because you don’t have to ever jump through hurdles for things like gamepass.

I didn’t think that this gives you access to  the Xbox stuff now too which makes me glad you got this instead of the deck where that is more troublesome! 

On 9/20/2023 at 12:36 PM, stepee said:

So I got this in and just installed it and it’s all good to go, got a faster 2b ssd installed and my clone worked fine, so I didn’t have any additional set up time besides a slightly longer than normal boot time afterwards.

It’s very easy and clean to do with the Asus ROG. I’m horrible at this stuff so if I can do it then anyone can do it easily. The case splits off very easily and cleanly as well as snaps easily and tightly back together. Total of 7 screws you have to deal with. Ezpz.

Going from 512gb to 2tb is freaking awesome especially with the micro sd concerns. 

• 1 month later...
SLICKDEALS.NET

New: 619.99 Open-Box Excellent: 483.99 Open-Box Good: 470.99 Open-Box Fair: 458.99 No membership...

These are open box but it’s a great deal. I have zero issues with the Ally. The only known issue is the sd card which is unfortunate. I still think even with the sd card issue, it’s a better device than the Deck.